Expert warns 'sleep hygiene' solutions including sleepy tea makes things worse for poor sleepers

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, May 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Expert warns 'sleep hygiene' solutions including sleepy tea makes things worse for poor sleepers (msn.com)

Lisa108, Sean, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read the article, but what i have experienced is that anything, anything that i do to try & improve sleep, is radically counter productive.

I do a meditation for sleep, that works only as a fabulous afternoon relaxation exercise, it doesnt put me to sleep but its lovely. If however, i use it before bed it will wake me up instantly. Instantly i hear the word 'sleep'.

The only way i can get to sleep is to not care at all about whether i do or not, not try or do anything to get to sleep. And that includes ALL the sleep hygiene advice given by psychologists to PwME.

If i doze in the afternoon i am almost guaranteed to sleep well. If i go to bed/wake at same time every day, i feel like crap & then i cant sleep. I love lavender smell but if i use it before bed it wakes me up.

I have to trick myself that it doesnt matter if i sleep, that i'm not trying to sleep just 'resting my eyes for a little while'. The minute i even have the thought 'i need/want to go to sleep because i really need to sleep/have to get up early/something important tomorrow/am crashing.. yada yada', then thats it, i become more awake than i been all day, and sleep will not come.......

until i have sat up, put the little night light on, read a bit/watched an episode of friends or something (even if i bad i have to force myself to try & do these things, even if its torture & the text i tryig to read is jibberish to me cos i so bad).... because then the 'resting my eyes' trick thing becomes real & i drop to sleep

So i reckon she's right, at leats for me

Mithriel, Ebb Tide, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With ME, usually the best approach to sleep is be like a cat and sleep whenever you feel like it. Most of us have no jobs and rarely leave the house, so it's often practical. I have non-24, so my sleep cycle is about 25-26 instead of 24 hours long, and I sleep 10-12 hours a day. While my sleep looks like a mess to an outside observer, I don't have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or feeling awake during the day.

rainy, Sean, Ebb Tide and 13 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a non-24 hour sleep cycle.

I hate going to bed when I'm not tired. I got sent to bed by my parents when I wasn't tired for about 10 years, from the age of about 8 - 18. Imagine being 16 / 17 / 18 and still being sent to bed at 9pm! I wasn't allowed to have a light on, and nor was I allowed to read. It was torture. I would lie in bed, absolutely miserable, for hours and hours almost every night. I would often still be awake at 3am - 4am in the morning. Then I might finally fall asleep. And then I would be woken up at 7am, and it drove my parents nuts that I couldn't wake up, and it drove me nuts being forced to lie in bed with nothing to do for 6 or 7 hours a night. I was so bored I thought I would go mad. My parents had no idea that I had only had about 3 hours sleep when they woke me up. Complaining that I hadn't had enough sleep would just get me sent to bed even earlier the next night.

Another factor that didn't help was that I shared a bed with my much younger sister who had a normal sleep/wake pattern and was a very light sleeper.

Now that I've been in control of my own destiny for several decades I have at long last managed to reduce the time I spend lying in bed and not getting to sleep. My waking and sleeping times still shift later and later, fairly quickly, getting later and later every morning/night.

bobbler, rainy, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've suffered from life altering sleep disturbance since 2001, the usual sleep hygiene advice was as insulting as it was ineffective. I couldn't wake up at the same time everyday and their solution was to tell me to wake up at the same time everyday. As for baths they cause me to feel more awake.

What I really needed was a quiet place to sleep because of my progressive Autism (which caused deteriative sound intolerance) and I also developed a non 24 hour sleep cycle. I was never awarded appropriate accommodation in time and as a result my condition got permanently worse, as well as developing a severe mental health condition.

Arnie Pye, V.R.T., bobbler and 7 others like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wow, how lovely, i hope you dont take that for granted! :)

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope, doesn't work for me. The only time I can fall asleep other than nighttime, is when I'm seriously ill (viral infection or whatever). Then, if I do fall asleep in the daytime, I feel really horrible afterwards: groggy, disoriented, etc. I don't follow a strict bedtime, but it's once per day.