Explanations for functional somatic symptoms across European treatment settings: A mixed methods study 2023 Saunders, Burton et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 22, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Expanding on this Kafkaesque situation, any attempt at disciplinary action would be bound to fail on the basis that this is standard of care across the global profession. And it is undeniable that there is boundless literature clearly stating its validity.

"Your honour, perhaps my learned colleague is suggesting we should put the entire medical system on trial."
    "Case dismissed, with prejudice."

Sean, Art Vandelay, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  2. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmh I am not sure about this for Aotearoa/NZ. The judiciary is still separate from the state (and we ditched the crown bit)…

But yes, medicolegally, the defence is “I argue that I meet the standard of my professional college and vocational peers, or “common practice” for the individual doctor and the policy and procedures of the health service of that time. (Otherwise known more locally as I make it up as I go along as there is no one else and no money…)

But, I think the complainant’s legal team could argue “No, I do no want to put the entire medical system on trial, just a tiny bit of it pertinent to ME” And your psychosomatic “expert” you brought in is gravely biased and not in line with modern clinical practice. Also we can have our own expert witness. We might actually have a few locally and don’t have to pay for a UK or USA one.

I still think it is possible to challenge things using human rights and disability law but money makes the world go round….

Lilas, RedFox, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too many patients go along with this kind of thing.

Lilas, Ravn, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe it is good that they document this themselves otherwise people in the future wouldn't believe it was once this bad?

Quote from the paper:

"47% of HCPs responded they often use explanations based on the autonomic nervous system, whereas only 16% often talk about the immune system in their explanations. This may reflect the relatively high numbers of psychologists who work clinically in this field."​