1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue - concepts for physiotherapy management and measurement, 2007, O'Connell and Stokes

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Hutan, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

An old paper, one that I found when I was looking for papers related to physiotherapy.
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._for_physiotherapy_management_and_measurement
    Free

Abstract

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

One of the things that is interesting about this paper, is its view of chronic fatigue syndrome, and the suggestion that the condition didn't have a name for many years prior.

There's a quote about the lack of attention fatigue has had, despite it being very debilitating.
    Which highlights the ignoring that has gone on, both of all the people living in Central Africa, and all the people living with fatigue.

There's acknowledgement of the importance of fatigue in the symptoms of MS, post-stroke and Parkinsons:

There's also a nice list of fatigue measuring tools and some discussion:

alktipping, Snowdrop, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

While some people in central Africa may prefer to be ignored rather than studied or colonised by outsiders, people with fatigue need to be properly understood and investigated and supported.

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds like CFS is being used to mean, well, having chronic fatigue rather than the specific disease that was meant to be identical to ME. When patient groups complained that this would happen they were assured that they were being just silly and of course no professionals could mistake the syndrome of CFS with the symptom chronic fatigue.

If people think that CFS is just having a fatigue it is no wonder there has been no progress in forty years. Now we have the internet it is astounding how many of the symptoms we have in common which were acknowledged in ME but have been neglected for all these years.

alktipping, Mij, Hutan and 2 others like this.