1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue, Physical Activity, and Mental Health in People Living With Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fibromyalgia, & in Healthy Controls, 2020, Olive et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/gastroente...hysical_Activity,_and_Mental_Health_in.7.aspx
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting.

2. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We should take note they are going after not IBS, but IBD - aka Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, which are not remotely 'functional' or 'MUS'.

I tend to conflate IBS and IBD when skimming through things so I'm pointing it out in case that happens to anybody else.

Sean, alktipping, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting how double speak works. They were aiming to identify bioopsychosocial factors. But that is all factors - bio, psycho and social - yet they only looked at the psycho. So biopsychsocial actually means psychological.

Sean, TrixieStix, shak8 and 19 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, biopsychosocial seems to have evolved over time to mean just two spheres of investigation, not three.

5. DokaGirl

Thank you for pointing this out, @James Morris-Lent. I noticed that too, and it's concerning IBD would be portrayed as a psychological problem. IBD has proven biomedical tests and treatments. It's my understanding this disease is autoimmune.

Perhaps a test for some diseases, as to whether they're psychosomatic or not in humans, is to look at the animal world. Animals develop IBD. Maybe these animals have lounged around, been slothful with no exercise, and worried themselves sick too.;):banghead:

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has always been the case with BPS researchers and what has helped them have credibility in the minds of those who don't bother to look further into it and they assume patients are getting assessed/treatments based on the bio side too. Of course it is all well thought out, done this way very much on purpose.

Sean, alktipping, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, that may not suit either. from my experience when an animal has a behaviour or mood change the vets first do a thorough physical.

If you want to book an assessment with a good dog behaviourist about a developing behaviour issue they usually insist on a thorough physical check up by the vet first. Many behavioural problems have underlying and/or chronic pain or an intolerance to certain food as root causes.

So, while vets take an interest in an animals mood the assumption is that changes to behaviour or mood are usually physical in origin.

BPSers wouldn't want to be exposed to that type of thinking.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, it's the ole Chalder script, the empire-building is spreading. Always the same ending. And intent. And set of questionnaires. And outcome-seeking analysis. Doing the same thing over and over and ensuring the same results. No matter the circumstances, the outcome is always the same. It's more like performance art. Except people suffer and die. So, very bad performance art. Or extremely good, I guess, depends on one's role in the performance.
    The absurdity of this sentence is amazing. Right up there with the memory of water. Do they even hear themselves talk? Let's align chakras while we're here. How about a good colonic cleanse to optimize your mindfulness?

I think there is a need to reframe BPS evidence-based medicine as questionnaire-based... something. Medicine doesn't apply here, it has nothing to do with what the patients need or anything relevant to medicine other than it involves sick people, though frankly unclear why as it's basically magazine quiz level of psychology that just connects boxes to one another because they want those boxes to align.

9. DokaGirl

Yes @Invisible Woman, many vets do physicals first. Not so in some serious biomedical cases I am aware of. Jumping right to a psychological cause, led to increased physical debility.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh no! I've been lucky then. On every single occasion my vets and dog trainers have gone done the physical health path first. They've been right every time.

They didn't ignore psychological wellbeing - when one dog was very sick and in hospital for a week they allowed us in for a visit when the surgery closed every evening to keep his spirits up. They felt that helped his recovery.

I'm very, very picky about vets and trainers though, in a way I can't be about doctors, sadly.

ukxmrv, shak8, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  11. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chalder is now interested in Acceptance and commitment therapy, so perhaps she's planning trials of this for fatigue.

ukxmrv, shak8, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.