Financial Outcome Measure

Discussion in 'Subjective outcome measures (questionnaires)' started by MelbME, Jul 11, 2024.

1. MelbME

MelbME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think a financial outcome measure will be important for getting governmental funding support for bigger trials and making a case for future treatment subsidies. So it should be considered an outcome measure of improvement.

There are several factors, these are 3 that spring to mind:
    - Increasing working hours potential.
    - Decreasing cost of medications/supplements.
    - Decreasing hours of care required (either paid or family that limit their working hours potential).

Has anyone come across something that covers this well? Any ideas on questions to ask or how to time these surveys (month before treatment and several months after)? How quickly might financial impact change with improved severity?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think this is difficult. ME/CFS has such a fluctuating pattern for many people that you can't even contemplate going back to employment until you can be confident you can sustain it, and then you can't tell whether you can actually sustain it until you have been back in work for months or even years. There are so many false dawns, with people thinking a treatment has worked, going back to a busy life, only to relapse to worse than before.

I think asking people what they think their earning potential is will depend as much on hope as on reality. There's the added problem of needing to actually find an employer willing to take you on after long term sickness, and to be flexible if you need to do it gradually. That very much depends on the type of occupation too.

When I was assessed for ill health retirement from teaching I was told by the consultant that even if I recover I should never go back to teaching, as it's one of the worst occupations for pwME for all sorts of obvious reasons. So if I had a treatment that seemed to work, I would have needed to retrain to do something else.

I think the sort of information you get from things like FUNCAP, activity levels, symptom data etc are more realistic measures.

Edit: I guess you could ask people before and after treatment and at followup how much they spend each week on assistance, and how much they have earned.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

4. Hutan

I agree, which is probably why you (MelbME) are asking.

Working hours
    We have discussed the problems of working hours elsewhere on the forum, also school hours. Trish is right, accurate estimates of working hours changes require a long time. I reckon a year at least, probably two. And it needs to be objective information - real hours worked.

Yes, definitely re false dawns. People want to be recovered, so asking them if they are, if they think they could work again, after they have received a treatment won't give useful information.I recall early on getting my doctor to write a note saying I had recovered so that I could resume a consulting job I had postponed. I was in a hotel in Bonn on my own when it became clear that recovery was extremely wishful thinking. I had PEM and was feverish with a urinary tract infection. It was very difficult to get halfway around the world to get home. Having to stand in seemingly endless queues in Dubai when there was a delay for some reason... A ridiculously traumatic experience. After a few experiences of false dawns like mine, people may be justifiably cautious when it actually comes to taking on a new work commitment.

So yes, it may take a long time before someone gets a job and then a number of months to know if the hours are sustainable.

And, it's not just hours lost. The job that someone gets, even if full-time, may not involve the same level of commitment, pressure and performance. Many highly paid jobs involve a lot more than 40 hours per week, and availability outside work hours. The type of job a person with ME/CFS might manage (work from home, flexible variable hours, no strict deadlines) is likely to poorly paid. Any measure of change in employment should take changes in income into account. It might be necessary to take into account the person's earning capacity e.g. related to education and experience.

The issue of time lag applies to receipt of benefits too.

Medications/supplements
    I don't think these will show much difference with an effective treatment. There aren't many effective medications other than pain relief. Most people will be using something like ibuprofen for pain relief, and that won't add up to much cost. A lot of medications and supplements are pretty much down to personal choice, things taken in the hope or belief that they do something. Therefore, they will be highly susceptible to subjectivity - if someone believes that they are feeling better they might stop their supplements. Some people would continue taking supplements even if they felt that they were feeling better.

Decreasing hours of care required
    This won't be a very sensitive measure for most people with ME/CFS. A lot of people with ME/CFS, even house-bound people, get by without significant specific care from others. The measure would be most useful if a person who is bed bound improves so that they don't need full time care. But, people of that severity rarely take part in ME/CFS studies.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There is the additional problem of people being too sick to tolerate the help they need with things like bathing, so ending up living unwashed. I have reduced the support I pay for because I find dealing with carers too exhausting.

Alis, RedFox, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  6. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep exactly. When I was bedbound, but still able to tolerate talking and light and such, I had care credits to have people help me with cleaning, I also had a mental health nurse I got to speak too once a week etc.

Now I have absolutely nothing, not even communication with a doctor, because I can’t tolerate any of it.

Alis, RedFox, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  7. Hutan

I think any evaluation of a treatment in ME/CFS requires long term followup. ME/CFS fluctuates too much and assessments of symptoms and even activity levels are too susceptible to placebo effects. Maybe a treatment trial that is extremely well blinded and/or where the improvement is unequivocal are exceptions, but even then, there should be long term followup because it will be important to know if benefits are sustained.

Given that, it would be possible to get people to report their income as in their income tax statement in the year or two years before treatment, and then the income in the second year after treatment. Even then, there will be confounders. Adults whose health improves might become students or have a baby, catching up on things that they couldn't do when they were more sick. Some people will have income from income insurance payouts or passive income from trusts or rentals - so maybe you would only want active income.

I wonder how treatment trials for other chronic illnesses are justified?

8. MelbME

Right, for some the improvement might be enough to consider increasing employment. For most, we're likely looking at reduced assistance costs and perhaps other medication and supplement costs.

I think these are all signs of improvement, just wanting to know how to best capture it with questions.

EndME, Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Yes. Another aspect of economic impact is use of health care services. Many of us don't even get to the GP, due to it being exhausting and due to the attitude of the doctor when we get there. So, there probably won't be a good signal on that measure, should someone become less sick.

Yann04, EndME, oldtimer and 8 others like this.
  10. MelbME

Amazing post. Thank you very much for all this information.

I think you highlight that it could work at the mild end where people can increase employment and it could work at the severe end where people require reduced care. But the middle moderate part is unlikely to alter in financial output/input with improvement.

I think the tricky part might be the acquisition of new employment, that potential for work as you highlight might be a false dawn.

Also, a year timeline wouldn't fit. Needs to be in a 3-4 month time frame at most I'd suspect.

11. Hutan

Will your treatment trial be extremely well blinded?

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

3-4 months doesn’t leave much time for people to have completed the process of putting in job applications and have interviews - even assuming they are qualified or have previous experience to make applications viable.

As with many people entering employment for the first time or reentering after a break they might need to do training or voluntary work. Your previous employer wouldn’t have to give you a job. Even in shortage areas you might need to do refresher training.

also how realistic is it to get treatment that permits a speedy return to work. I have a friend who had another chronic illness the treatment lasted one year and she was only able to return to part time work after a further year.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    Yann04, Trish, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I think there needs to be four classes of general outcome measures for any trial of treatment or management. In no particular order:

1. Income
    2. Health and welfare use
    3. Activity patterns (objectively measured)
    4. Quality of life

1, 2 and 4 are straight forward enough. 3 needs not only measuring the quantity of activity but also the quality. By which I mean how difficult it is for a patient to engage in and sustain/repeat that activity, how effective and efficient it is, and the costs of it.

For example, compare walking 100 metres for a healthy 20yo v. an 80yo with moderate osteoarthritis in the hips. They can both do it, but the overall experience and cost is vastly different. The quality is very different.

Trish, oldtimer, MelbME and 4 others like this.
  14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree it's potentially a useful hook to attract attention to a project, but as others have said, returning to work is the most challenging step for people who've regained some of their function. Unless you're fully recovered it's impossible to gauge how much work you could do until you try it (even when you're returning to a job you've done for years it's always harder than you thought!), let alone get a sense of whether a particular job will be sustainable.

But it is important, so maybe it could feature as one of the measures of improvement? Presumably, things such as taking a more active part in family life, resuming social activities and hobbies, and resuming or beginning a course of study will also be on the list. Outcomes like these could be presented as a scale with the most modest gains at the bottom and the most challenging at the top; it might help underline to potential funders that returning to work means climbing a ladder, not a doorstep. If a treatment helped and follow-up could be maintained for at least a year (two would be better), you might be able to show that some participants gained another rung or two during the period.

I don't know whether that's a useful approach, but it might be—policy makers know there's more to it than whether or not someone is working within a year. For someone who's been a long way from work returning almost always takes time, and even if they're not fit enough for work post-treatment, the ability to resume social activities or begin learning are still economic benefits. It can mean they're less likely to be dependent on services, and if they did eventually improve, they'd be in much better shape to move towards work.

If you're looking at it from the point of view of economic benefits to society as well as to the individual, people who're able to return to work may also:
    • be contributing income tax;
    • not be claiming social security;
    • be saving for a pension, reducing their dependence on social security top-ups after retirement;
    • be able to afford to buy a property or rent privately, reducing demand on social housing;
    • have private or employer-provided health insurance and rely less on public healthcare;
    • be able to look after their long-term health, reducing morbidity in later life;
    • have more money available for discretionary spending in the economy.
    I guess it depends on whose PoV you're looking at it from (societal or individual), the extent of the gains, and how well a chronically ill person is currently supported financially.

For some pwME, the individual financial impact is more likely to be negative than positive. Personal care is often the largest item in the budget, but if they weren't paying for it in the first place, there's no saving. People who're able to do more after treatment are likely to grab the chance with both hands, and some of those things will cost money they didn't need to spend when they were stuck in the house 24/7.

For someone who's been out of work a long time, returning to a job often has a negative financial impact for a year or more. Some of the issues:
    • they may have no savings to set themselves up for work and little or no access to credit;
    • their social security is stopped immediately, but they don't get a salary payment for at least four weeks;
    • they have to find the money for a month's travel with no income to cover it;
    • they might also have debt they need to service during this time;
    • their wardrobe isn't geared up to working, and for some jobs they'll face a substantial outlay on clothes and shoes;
    • for the first 12 to 24 months, these return-to-work costs, together with the normal additional costs of working, may mean they're worse off—or at least no better off—than when they weren't working.
    (As you might be able to tell, I've been there, bought the t-shirt, grown out of it, and sold it as vintage on eBay. :D)

Sean, Trish, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  15. Murph

Murph Established Member (Voting Rights)

For someone like me, my earning power is very much linked to how well I feel. I have very short-term projects that I can complete on a day I feel well. If I'm in a good period I can make good money. At other times weeks go by with no earnings.So my health shows up in my bank account.

But that tight sensitivity of health to earnings requires being a freelancer with short-run projects, most jobs are not freelance and even most freelancers work on longer time-scale things.

If I was truly well I'd probably get an office job for the proper job security and better promotion prospects. But even if I was cured tomorrow could I start that sort of job within 3-4 months? I don't think I'd even be ready to trust my own health for a few months.

For your purposes, Chris, I think you probably need to do some dumb extrapolation, say that if this person gains 20 hours a week of feeling well, they gain say 10 hours of work potential, and multiply that through at an average or median or minimum wage. I wouldn't feel bad about that methodology, some very high-powered consultancies are making economic estimates like this and charging themselves out for thousands of dollars an hour!!

As for other measures:

How many tablets I take each day may also be a good signal of how I feel. Sometimes I whittle the supplement stack down and that's often because I'm in a good period. Then I crash and decide whatever cost and risk there is in taking 20 tablets a day is worth it if I can gain 5% more function.

I've thought often of non-coventional health markers. Steps, sleep, earnings are all interesting. Another one I think correlates with feeling worse, for a mild person like me, is scrolling these forums. When I'm feeling a bit better I think about being sick a lot less and don't care nearly so much what the latest papers say! If I log off for 6 months it's probably because I'm in a mild patch.

Yet another measure might be to run complexity/sentiment analysis on the text I write while I am logged on. On bad days the writing level will be lower and the positive sentiment will be rarer!

Sean, Hutan, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be honest, I think it would be a disastrous mistake, at best a distraction and at worst, much worse. Remember that this is how the PACE people got their bandwagon going. It leads to the expectation 'you had the treatment, now get a job'.

The irony is that healthcare doesn't actually work like this. When I entered rheumatology we cost nothing because we used some old drugs that cost a few cents a month. Rheumatology was considered a backwater speciality that nobody really needed. Suddenly in the 1990s we discovered the use of biologics. Rheumatology shot up to the highest share of the drug budget. We became big tie expensive. And from that point on rheumatology has been a major player. Nobody has taken any interest in whether or not people have gone back to work, and rightly so, because it is only indirectly and inconsistently related to the objective - health.

Rehab services are always popular and are sold as getting people back to work. But the reason they are popular is that they get the patients off the GP's backs and on to someone else's responsibility - a physio or a psychologist who is happy to be paid a pittance.

The finance of healthcare is all a mess and a very quick route to maltreating patients.

Going back to work is a reasonable surrogate for major improvement and it might be useful as an outcome measure but we have never ever even considered using it in rheumatology. We got the billions of dollars for the treatments and nobody asked about employment. As part of a primary outcome measure to base efficacy analysis on it would be weak. We want trials to be funded on the basis of reliable assessment of efficacy, not a political motive that may do patients harm.

I sit on grant advisory boards and I wouldn't take any notice of any financial assessment for a project. Just whether it might reliably show a health benefit.

MSEsperanza, JemPD, Sean and 10 others like this.
  17. MelbME

Double-blinded

Sean, Hutan, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  18. MelbME

So would have to capture potential to work, not actual process of being employed.

Murph, Sean, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.
  19. MelbME

Excellent post. Thank you. This will help me a lot.

I think develop I financial survey will have to be very well-considered. May only strategically bring it out in those already employed part-time or the severe with carer help. Certain demographics. Don't want to undersell the life improvements on a financial scale, just simply thinking ahead to getting medications in to a universal health care system.

bobbler, Hutan, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  20. MelbME

It's hard to capture a one-size fits all survey I think. I think any development of this type of outcome measure is going to need interviewing hundreds of patients to capture the diversity and determine value.

Murph, Hutan, Kitty and 3 others like this.