Financial Outcome Measure

Discussion in 'Subjective outcome measures (questionnaires)' started by MelbME, Jul 11, 2024.

1. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@bobbler, thank you for that information. Oh golly what a grim misuse of health data to save money. Yes this pilot study may have been picked up by the UK NHS, not sure how you would verify that but yes this mirrors the insidious creep I have observed in the health news in NZ.

Yes, it is possible frequent attendees they are describing may get referred to CL psychiatry. Whether the referral was accepted and an assessment done (it would have to be during normal working hours as CL is not an on-call acute service) is another matter. I can't speak for CL but often community psychiatrists had to give opinions on some people they described. Often there was little we could do as their symptoms were part of their medical disorder, eg anxiety with being breathless in COPD. It was actually the ambulance service wanting a management plan. CBT was not going to fix that. Often there is no psychiatric medication that could be used as it would exacerbate their medical illness. Usually we tried to get more community medical care for them and explained this to the medical team.

2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This might need to be moved as I don't know whether this later part is getting off-track from the original thread, BUT I guess it is still about resource-saving initiatives, and importantly that study with the tiny sample is the reference that puts MUS as a whole section in this next one which seems to be a national initiative.

OK this one I spotted as I saw reference to a CQUIN in the following (Exeter): Royal_Devon_and_Exeter_NHS_Foundation_Trust_Annual_Report_and_Accounts_2017-18.pdf (england.nhs.uk) it just so happened to be on p36-37 and was the section before CFS was mentioned (p37) for something else. But it caught my eye because it was about an initiative for frequent attenders.

I've looked up the CQUIN that seems to be behind this: Frequent_Attenders_in_the_ED_Aug2017.pdf (rcem.ac.uk)

this doc is from the royal college of emergency medicine.

You'll note the following on page 3:

I might be wrong and haven't read this through, or indeed the actual implementation which would be local, but could see how if eg MUS is flagged as likely cause of frequent attenders, how this could become a way in which 'MUS' (rather than the frequency banging them over the head) became something people looked up and then were on the lookout for.

Page 6 is worth scrolling to as it is all about MUS and psychological therapies:

The reference under this page is actually the west middlesex example: http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/The West Middlesex Frequent attendersprogramme.pdf
    http://www.wlmht.nhs.uk/uncategorized/ae-programme-reduces-unnecessary-attendances/

To be fair a lot of the references when clicked through on don't seem to mention MUS. However the last 2 were on CBT for hypochondriasis and MUS

Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Hypochondriasis: A Randomized Controlled Trial | Psychiatry and Behavioral Health | JAMA | JAMA Network

Cognitive-behavior therapy for medically unexplained symptoms: A critical review of the treatment literature - ScienceDirect

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
  3. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@hibiscuswahine oh OK here is another one. Better safe than sorry? Frequent attendance in a hospital emergency department: an exploratory study - PMC (nih.gov)

And I've put it here because in the middle of the paper there is actually a business case built out based on 2 frequent attenders (who both had long term conditions and were diagnosed as having anxiety 'playing a big part' and given plans involved psych therapy) suggesting a saving of £13,300 from such intervention.

The other thing to note is that the lead author Jo Daniels is quite well know in the CFS world (thread here: Jo Daniels (on CBT, ME/CFS and Long Covid) | Science for ME (s4me.info)), is based at Bath and was on the ME/CFS guideline committee. She has produced things like: Health anxiety in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Health Research Authority (hra.nhs.uk)

This paper has some very strange methodology. It is very much selling based on claims of a business case. Except this business case is now only based on 2 patients, who have MUS. It is in Table 1. And if look at it in the pdf version is on page 5.

But its method is firstly using business data to find the 50 most frequent attenders..... but then 'a psychologist seeking out themes across their case notes to look for homogeinities' rather than looking eg by condition or dept. then it just went into A&E one day and interviewed 25 people. Telling them it would be put verbatim in their notes. And used that survey as the basis for some of the questions. So not people who were identified as frequent attenders?

It seems to hop around and cherry-pick why certain groups were picked in such a strange fashion I can only think there was 'fishing' for things like MUS they felt 'their offering would sell for' and then searching both of these methods for a % they could cite and crowbar in.

It includes gems like:
    and in the recommendations:

and
    I think it is worth fishing this out given a problem with many of these questionnaires is inclusion of symptoms that would be standard in ME, like exhaustion as a symptom and not differentiating this could be due to the ME/CFS etc.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.