1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

From harm to help - promoting an evidence based shift in understanding of ME/CFS, presentation to RNZCGP conference 2021, Cathy Stephenson

Discussion in 'Resources' started by RoseE, Aug 31, 2021.

1. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This post has been moved from news from New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

GP Dr Cathy Stephenson presented to the The Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners (RNZCGP) General Practice Conference 2021 in Wellington on 7th August 2021.
    Title: "From Harm to Help: Promoting an evidence based shift in our understanding of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis /Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

The presentation slides with audio are now available on https://m.e.awareness.nz/harm-to-help-presentation for viewing and sharing. We estimate 30 minutes is required to view and listen.

This presentation is also available as a Powerpoint with speaking notes. Please email us at m.e.awareness.nz@gmail.com if you would like to use it for teaching purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2021
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Only looked at the PDF file, but it is excellent. Thanks to those who produced it. :thumbup::)

Just one suggestion, on the last page (31):

CBT is supportive but not curative.

I would prefer:

CBT can be supportive but not curative.

alktipping, Wyva, Trish and 4 others like this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The PDF only contains the slides. They give the gist of the presentation but it's worth listening the audio, too, for the full talk.

Slide 7 is not exactly surprising to too many of us here but still shocking to read it so bluntly stated (refusal of referrals).

4. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just managed to view (and listen to) this. TBH I :cry::cry: but that was from it so straightforwardly introducing a GP to my illness. Thanks.

alktipping, shak8, Trish and 2 others like this.