From Software to Hardware: A Case Series of Functional Neurological Symptoms and Cerebrovascular Disease 2024 Coebergh, Edwards et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 13, 2024.

1. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd think "software" refers to memory, belief and conditioning. Just another term for "it's all in your head". It's socio and psycho portion of sociopsychobiology, in other words.

Physiological FND is an oxymoron. If they found structural basis for what they've been calling functional, they should just retire the term "functional" rather than insisting on calling it FND with structural basis

alktipping, bobbler, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the most embarrassing comms efforts I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter.

I’m curling up inside.
    The exploded head…?
    Put that in your pipe…?
    Okay.
    You’ve travelled from a way back in the time space continuum where the internet insult conversations are different?
    Now how does this translate…
    You’re our FND crack dealer? Product now quality assured to give us a brain injury?

You want us to know you’re taking ‘our very real and serious’ conditions seriously so you’re online insulting patients as yet unconvinced by your research methods and those unsure of your professional integrity or good intentions towards them?
    Or?
    Others, working in the field of advancing healthcare, fellow researchers who you feel are on the wrong track?

If the people won’t respect you and your acronyms by choice, they’ll be forced to after that ‘mind blowing’ ‘smoking’ put down?

But, I’d guess that would be beyond his expectations at this point. Just keeping up the advertising. Believe us and us alone. Don’t believe your lying ears, eyes, critical thinking facilities etc.

Failing even that, he was simply aiming to be told what a piece of crap he and his work is. At this stage any attention at all.

Win win I guess. I mean not for the patients. They can go choke on his pipe. If I may sum up, in honour of his preferred style,
    Is he right or is he right?!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Sean, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, livinglighter, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many people will die from undiagnosed treatable conditions if following this credo.

Gradzy, bobbler, Chezboo and 7 others like this.
  5. Ash

All of us. All of us are gonna die of preventable diseases or prematurely from progressive disease that could be slowed.

Chezboo, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/83/3/248

bobbler, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many already have? Thousands for sure. Likely tens if not hundreds of thousands. Accounting for premature deaths, likely millions. Millions have lost many years of their lives, for many most of their lives. The best data we have show that for those who remain ill with ME/CFS, we die 20 years earlier than the rest of the population on average. That could be wrong, but it's unlikely to be so wrong that it's acceptable. We know of far too many in their 20's or even earlier, in some cases whose death was disrespected even further in ghoulish displays of indifference.

The psychosomatic quacks don't care. They completely ignore it. They are behaving exactly like the tobacco industry did when faced with the harm of their product. They get away with it because of disbelief, that if something this big were true, people would act. But the facts are what they are, and people rarely act unless they have to. Just look at masks in health care: "we don't have to, so we don't". In years of reading psychosomatic papers and studies, I never see any substantial discussion of this. It's a completely taboo subject that most never talk about, probably never think about. It's all mild. All beliefs and behavior.

From spoilers about the NIH intramural ME/CFS research paper, one of the conclusions appears to be that there are a lot of missed diagnoses, that a lot of people with ME had other diagnosable conditions that were simply missed because psychosomatic ideology prescribes not to bother to investigate, out of belief that it's patients believing they have a serious illness that makes them behave this way. Or whatever bullshit they happen to believe. And out of foolish beliefs about cost-saving, the likes of not fixing a damaged roof saves on costs.

It makes a complete mockery of the "first do no harm" thing. It also runs afoul of the law in most countries, where basic efforts to properly diagnose are mandated by law. What we are missing is enforcement. Enforcement of the so-called first principle of medicine, which is about as dutifully followed as the prime directive in Star Trek. Enforcement of the basic laws of health care and the so-called right to it. It's not actually a right if it can be denied systematically to this many. Certainly not when there is a specialty devoted to it.

We'll probably only know enough to act once health care has comprehensive records of everything happening. Right now that's just not the case, and there is almost no linkage between different acts. When a MD misses a diagnosis that another MD makes later, it's a completely manual process to get that first one to even know about it. And the odds that they learn anything from it are minuscule, it's just not part of how medicine works. Medical AIs will change that, that's coming soon. I can't wait.

bobbler, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  8. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The neurologist who tried to diagnose my Long Covid cognitive impairment and dysautonomia as FND was entirely open about it. "This is FND: what we used to call conversion disorder." Then he told me to "see a shrink".

Luckily I knew enough by then to laugh it off, but who knows how many other people are being told the same thing.

Gradzy, Missense, MeSci and 18 others like this.
  9. Sid

Yes, this is a common clinical situation. "Functional" is understood by everyone in medicine to be a codeword for psychological. However, in my post I was referring to elite FND scammers who talk a good talk about how all that Freudian conversion stuff is superseded and how enlightened they are. It's a small cabal of FND-friendly neurologists who have managed to convince some patients that they're on their side. In actuality, an FND diagnosis on your medical chart is pretty much a death sentence because you'll never be treated seriously by any healthcare provider ever again and should you ever develop another condition that's actually fatal you will very likely end up being dismissed as anxious/hysterical, delaying your diagnosis and experiencing extreme abuse.

rvallee, Comet, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I agree about the variety of conditions dumped into the FND bucket. But we have seen enough published case studies of people who have been given an FND diagnosis and then have gone on to have worsening symptoms and eventually be diagnosed with a progressive neurological diseases to question the capacity of the medical system to always accurately identify progressive conditions. For example, there was the woman with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease who was initially diagnosed with FND (with the case study authors continuing to insist that she had an overlay of FND, even after the identification of the CJD, even as her brain disintegrated. I still find that case study one of the most astonishing medical accounts I have come across.)

A family member had a malformation of the blood vessels on the surface of the brain - as I understand it, an artery not connecting up properly to the capillaries, but instead bypassing those to shunt the high pressure blood into a vein. Such a malformation has all sorts of causes - congenital, physical trauma and disease. The vascular malformation caused some death of brain cells that had been served by the bypassed capillaries and, so, a loss of function, some of which was regained as neural plasticity allowed other parts of the brain to take over that function.

The structural problem also caused swelling where the vein became leaky under the high pressure of the shunted blood supply. The swelling, pressing on the brain and its blood supply, would periodically get worse, typically after some activity increasing blood pressure, and then reduce. That produced a pattern of fluctuating symptoms, including a loss of function in a hand, cognitive issues and delirium.

In my family member's case, the malformation was not diagnosed straight away, and in fact may not have ever been. He was very fortunate that someone took another look and arranged the right sort of scan. To my knowledge, he was never given an FND diagnosis. He is of the age where strokes are expected, and that is the diagnosis he was given. If he was a young girl with the same problem, maybe the outcome would have been different.

This experience underlined to me the ridiculousness of suggesting that a fluctuating pattern of symptoms is evidence of conversion disorder. Stress, whether it be physical or emotional stress, does have impacts on the body, and those impacts, such as an increase in blood pressure, absolutely can exacerbate neurological disease.

(sorry for a few edits for clarity)

bobbler, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  11. Ash

CJD with FND overlay?
    Too awful surely?
    Perhaps the most sadistic application I’ve ever heard.
    I wonder who had to tell them?
    Dr you were wrong, I know it’s difficult. But there are worse things to deal with, you could be dying from Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

bobbler, Chezboo, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. Sid

It's one of the most insane threads we ever had here, the sheer insanity of that paper and its conclusions. This person literally spent their last days/weeks/months on earth being told they have FND.

Gradzy, rvallee, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  13. Ash

After I’d written that I remembered the thread it was just so awful I’d blanked it. Really ghastly behaviour.

That’s actually a great example one of many many pointers that the proponents of FND aren’t reliable narrators when it comes to their patients.

14. Sid

Paper published in a top psych journal in 2014 (not 1950), with 12 participants and far-reaching pro-Freud conclusions, point-blank admitting in the first sentence that hysteria is a synonym:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/1780023

Reference 1 is Stone's FND prevalence study.

So, for any FND patients reading this forum, this is what they ACTUALLY think of you.

Ash, livinglighter, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Revising a diagnosis of functional neurological disorder—a case report, 2020, Berry and Weithoff
    The text actually used the word 'refine', as in the 'FND diagnosis was refined to progressive supranuclear palsy'.

Functional neurological symptoms as initial presentation of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: case series 2022 Gómez-Mayordomo et al
    3 cases discussed. Also talks about FND in a whole range of neurodegenerative conditions

And this is the paper that is surely the pinnacle of 'seeing what you want to see'

rvallee, bobbler, Chezboo and 2 others like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you explain this? Not quite sure what you mean.

Ash likes this.
  17. dave30th

I was pretty shocked that they considered the FND Dx to be correct in that case series. They did say that it should be considered a transient or place-holder Dx pending further developments, however--which is of course not what the FND people say, because they treat it as a final diagnosis, not a provisional one.

Ash, bobbler, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  18. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a paper where a new type of MRI can now detect the smallest differences in white matter that was previously not seen.
    @SNT Gatchaman posted the article about 7t MRI.

Ash, bobbler, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This case challenges our perception of conversion disorder as an entirely psychological phenomenon and neurological disease as entirely biological [5].

No, it exposed the FND diagnosis for the cruel sham it is.

If disease can exist in an immaterial, “functional” realm, how then can it influence a brain made of matter and mass and produce bodily symptoms? Perhaps the connections are subtler than thought.

'If'

Maybe, just maybe, those connections simply don't exist, because the functional component doesn't exist outside of the fevered imaginations of those claiming it does.

Ash, rvallee, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  20. dave30th

is this a quote from the software/hardware paper or some other paper?

Ash, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.