Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) - articles, social media and discussion

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Andy, Dec 13, 2021.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When available this is likely to be a high profile paper, as this journal is top-ranked.

For reference, Nature is 69.5 and Cell is 66.9 (Nature's Molecular Psychiatry is 13.4).

An editorial in the most recent issue of World Psychiatry is Understanding depression beyond the “mind-body” dichotomy which starts off with —

"Do people in these regions just “somatize” what is primarily a “psychological” experience?" Unlikely. Either the diagnosis of depression in those regions is inaccurate and inappropriately broad or the disease understanding in the other regions is incomplete/naive.

Continues with unnecessarily gendered language, while blaming the patient —

---
    Some alternative references —

A mitochondrial nexus in major depressive disorder: Integration with the psycho-immune-neuroendocrine network (2024, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease)

Association between mitochondrial DNA levels and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis (2023, BMC Psychiatry)

Mitochondrial dysfunction: A fatal blow in depression (2023, Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy)

Connecting Dots between Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Depression (2023, Biomolecules)

Mitochondria, Metabolism, and Redox Mechanisms in Psychiatric Disorders (2019, Antioxidants & Redox Signaling)

Ash, Arnie Pye, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could this be the article:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10785980/

"World Psychiatry. 2024 Feb; 23(1): 53–54.
    Published online 2024 Jan 12. doi: 10.1002/wps.21151
    PMCID: PMC10785980
    PMID: 38214630
    Functional neurological disorder: defying dualism
    Jon Stone, 1 Ingrid Hoeritzauer, 1 Laura McWhirter, 1 and Alan Carson 1
    Author information Copyright and License information PMC Disclaimer

Functional neurological disorder (FND) is classified in the DSM‐5‐TR as “functional neurological symptom disorder (conversion disorder)” and in the chapter on mental disorders of the ICD‐11 as “dissociative neurological symptom disorder”......."

Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well by that logic since 'flu like symptoms' are pretty 'core' to influenza, so 'these studies need to assess for' influenza

Ditto all the other symptoms experienced by PwME in PEM that are 'core' to other conditions.

Typical FND non-logic.

MEMarge, Hutan, Trish and 5 others like this.
  5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Owner of Rethink Physical Therapy, PLLC

does PLLC mean 'limited' twice? (like Ltd company is limited liability)

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ah, I've answered my own question:

"It is a variant of the limited liability company (LLC) structure that protects business owners and investors from personal liability."

7. SNT Gatchaman

Noting also that in StatPearls, a search for "functional neurological disorder" leads to the article on Conversion disorder, last updated in May 2023. Also available via the NIH. It opens with —

Gradzy, Hutan, livinglighter and 7 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it's not already been mentioned:

"The Functional Neurological Disorder Society is a professional society of healthcare professionals, scientists, and students who are interested in functional neurological disorders"

In a joint session between FNDS and EAPM (European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine), the FND Society's 2024 Conference Program is giving a platform to Michael Sharpe, Peter Henningsen and Per Fink:

Session: Joint Session FNDS + EAPM: Exploring the Range of Functional Disorders

Co-Chairs: W. Curt LaFrance, Jr., MD, MPH and Michael Sharpe, MD, FACLP

8:00 – 8:15 am CEST Fatigue
    Michael Sharpe, MD, FACLP

8:20 – 8:35 am CEST Psychosomatic Medicine
    Peter Henningsen

8:40 – 8:55 am CEST A National Program in Denmark
    Per Fink, MD, PhD, DMSc

9:00 – 10:00 am CEST Panel Discussion

Full Program

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Dolphin like this.
  9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wondered if I could find any info on Anna O, whose real name was Bertha Pappenheim. I can't read twitter (X) and I refuse to create an account :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertha_Pappenheim

She apparently did recover, and lived to be 77, dying in 1936 in Germany.

Amw66 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

FND discussion BBC Radio 2

Jeremy Vine show. FND. John Stone about to be interviewed.
    today 13.05

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2024
    Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

oh Goodness, did anyone hear iy?

Peter Trewhitt and ukxmrv like this.
  13. JoClaire

JoClaire Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’m new here.

Looking to see if there are threads that discuss FND in following ways:

1. History of FND dx: when did “rule in” diagnosis start; what precedent for rule in? - even when there are multiple physical characteristics?

2. Other examples of diseases with difficult to pinpoint origin that - with time and money - was found?
    (Eg AIDS - their “Walitt” argued its cause behavioral, versus blood transmitted.) (MS - at first hysteria - still is called FND, for many, until it shows up on MRI.)

3) What is evidence ME/CFS is not FND or FND-like?
    *I always thought 2-day CPET was strongest research demonstrating impairment. But I’ve seen comments here that CPET papers aren’t highly regarded by physicians? May have publishing bias.
    * Why would this even have to be proved? (Gah.)
    Why do you believe it’s not? (personal experience?)

4)Can’t recall if I saw this here- trends to behavior-alize*/moralize disease in general. Always been there but saw an article discussing it as a growing trend, CBT, mindfulness, exercise, diet, etc.
    *I saw another word for this. Had to make this one up

Sorry if this is an overwhelming first post. I tried searching for some of these topics and reading some related threads. But I’m still trying to figure out best way to navigate with muddy brain.

Hutan, bobbler, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

There's quite a lot. I'm sure you've found this already, but click the tags at the top left of the screen to find more than you wanted.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 9.30.46 AM copy Medium.jpeg

Your questions are not straightforward to answer I think. One reason is the terminology and obfuscation used in the literature. Another is the difference between what is said and what is practiced. Lip service is played to "no need for psychological factors in the diagnosis" but patients are still referred to psychologists for treatment, or simply discharged with a shrug as "nothing organic the neurologist can treat." The change to positive rule-in signs started coming into play around 2011 I think.

Recently comments were made on social media questioning why we had an interest: implying if not directly stating that we should stay in our lane. Some FND patients are very keen on the diagnosis, though as far as I can see that doesn't translate to useful treatments or recovery rates. Many ME/LC are diagnosed with FND and as you note there are attempts to turn ME into an FND / somatic symptom disorder / body distress syndrome.

One example of ME not being FND-like is brain oxygenation as measured with NIRS. Near-infrared spectroscopy in evaluating psychogenic pseudosyncope—a novel diagnostic approach (2020, QJM: An International Journal of Medicine) showed "Our novel finding indicates that cerebral perfusion remains stable throughout despite positive symptom reproduction in PPS patients."

In comparison Impaired postural cerebral hemodynamics in young patients with chronic fatigue with and without orthostatic intolerance (2002, The Journal of Pediatrics) found "the majority of patients with CFS had decreased oxy-Hb concentration of the brain during upright posture".

Additionally we have multiple studies showing reduction in cerebral blood flow on orthostatic challenge (using Doppler US) and NIRS-demonstrated deoxgyenation with other tasks —

Prefrontal cortex oxygenation during incremental exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome (2008, Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging)

Reduced Cerebrovascular Oxygenation in Individuals with Post-Acute COVID-19 Syndrome PACS “long COVID” (2023, SpringerLink)

Neurocognitive and psychiatric symptoms following infection with COVID-19: Evidence from laboratory and population studies (2023, Brain, Behavior, & Immunity - Health)

Prefrontal dysfunction in post-COVID-19 hyposmia: an EEG/fNIRS study (2023, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience)

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Some other hopefully useful sources of information for you.

#1 - This blog by @dave30th might be helpful, also discussed up-thread here.

#2 - @ME/CFS Skeptic has written a blog series on this sort of subject, discussed here, ME/CFS SKeptic: A new blog series on the dark history of psychosomatic medicine

#3 - Not sure we will necessarily have any threads on exactly this topic. In general, the assertion that ME/CFS is an FND (or somatic symptom disorder, body distress syndrome or any other variant) is based on the fact that we don't know the disease process, standard tests come back 'normal', and the literature that FND proponents cherry-pick claim that ME/CFS is amenable to CBT and physical therapy. Proponents are also quite happy to assume that findings for fatigue in other conditions are relevant to ME/CFS - PEM is either ignored or reduced to something like 'tiredness after exertion' - all of which is straight out of the playbook of the BPS ME/CFS 'researchers'.

Ultimately, for proponents, the bar for 'evidence' that ME/CFS is FND/functional is incredibly low, while the bar for 'evidence' that ME/CFS isn't FND/functional is incredibly high.

Hope that helps in some way.

16. JoClaire

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much, Andy.

17. JoClaire

Thanks so much Gachaman!

18. SNT Gatchaman

However, I had forgotten that a more recent study showed that patients diagnosed with both FND (psychogenic pseudosyncope/PPS type) and ME/CFS do show reduced cerebral perfusion. Psychogenic Pseudosyncope: Real or Imaginary? Results from a Case-Control Study in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ME/CFS Patients (2022, Medicina) —

There's something of a Venn diagram, but I guess the main message is recognising the systematic error. Diagnosing "FND" and ceasing all other investigations because of that will lead to missed diagnoses and perpetuate knowledge gaps.

Snow Leopard, Hutan, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  19. JoClaire

Thank you!

I believe this was in the list of other studies you sent and I found it very notable.

I'd say that once you find physical evidence that explains the symptom - there is no evidence for keeping the FND diagnosis.

No overlap and no Venn.

It's ironically maddening their tea party of slippery logic and ever-evolving labels and narratives.

I really appreciate you sharing all of this!

(I think it was in this list. Too shaky to look and verify. I still am learning to REST when I'm shaky!)

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately that never stops the FND advocates. They just claim it as objective evidence that they are correct. The blatant contradiction is simply ignored.

Hutan, bobbler, rvallee and 10 others like this.