1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Functional Neurological Disorder in the Emergency Department, 2021, Finkelstein, Stone et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"ABSTRACT
    We provide a narrative review of functional neurological disorder (FND, or conversion disorder) for the emergency department (ED). Diagnosis of FND has shifted from a ‘rule‐out’ disorder to one now based on the recognition of positive clinical signs, allowing the ED physician to make a suspected or likely diagnosis of FND. Pubmed, Google Scholar, academic books, and a hand search through review article references were used to conduct a literature review. We review clinical features and diagnostic pitfalls for the most common functional neurologic presentations to the ED, including functional limb weakness, functional (non‐epileptic) seizures, and functional movement disorders. We provide practical advice for discussing FND as a possible diagnosis and suggestions for initial steps in workup and management plans."

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acem.14263

Hutan, MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That horrifying moment when the ER wheels out a liaison psychiatrist to deliver the news that there is, in fact, nothing wrong with you.

Midnattsol, sb4, Mithriel and 15 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Their grab for veto power over who gets to see a real doctor enters its final big push.

This is going to be a cruel and totally avoidable catastrophe.

And nobody will be held to account for it.

Mithriel, EzzieD, geminiqry and 12 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is this going to do to the death rate in women, I wonder, where death is caused by an entirely treatable condition?

6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

once some one is given this diagnosis they will never be treated for anything ever again just fobbed of with this lie . just how many people will have to die for a proper inquiry into this financially motivated fraud .

Midnattsol, sb4, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  7. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These sorts of papers are designed to give doctors even more justification to dismiss things as anxiety and hysteria. Once you have these lies on your chart, it's pretty much the kiss of death. A friend of mine had unexplained abdominal pain for years which was diagnosed as psychosomatic. A few years later she developed gallstones and it was almost impossible to get a simple ultrasound because the moronic doctor dismissed every complaint as psychosomatic and "you've already had all these investigations".

Midnattsol, sb4, Michelle and 12 others like this.
  8. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this also happened to a young male friend of my younger brother his symptoms started a few months after his fathers death he was in agony for a long time till he was rushed into a hospital that had no medical notes on him he had several large kidney stones . the doctor of course blamed his pain on emotions based solely on the recent death of his father .

Midnattsol, sb4, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Literally...

10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem is that FND is treated as one disorder which mimics everything you can think of from seizures, IBS to strokes and kidney stones so that it does not matter what your symptoms are, if your arm drops when they examine you that is it.

11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2021-4-21_20-55-17.png

I've just read the following anecdote on another forum, written by a woman, naturally :

Mithriel, Sean, Missense and 3 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I don't see this on their Twitter timeline?

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was sure Nicola had liked it, however it appears not - pre coffee concnetration issue - apologies for confusion caused.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've just spotted that Nicola from @PhysiosforME retweeted it, so I'd imagine that's what you saw. Hopefully it didn't indicate endorsement, considering the likely caused by the ideas in this paper.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Amw66 like this.