Gary Burgess Despicable ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by BurnA, Oct 27, 2017.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gary Burgess
    A journalist, employed as an on-screen and off-screen Content Editor for ITV News in Jersey & columnist

He talks about setting up a new website....

Maybe we should reach out to him, save him a bit of bother.

We can be happy that our name is at least better than zonked club :neutral:

2. JCB

JCB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are actually a zillion ME and CFS websites. Only a few reach critical mass. Some become popular blogs. I think a site that aims purely at relating good and bad experience won't get a lot of traffic. Little of the traffic on popular sites really fits into that category. Few of use want to spend long reading about these things, I think we prefer to give out snippets as we chat with people and learn to trust them. Maybe he has another USP? However if he has the right intent, I wish him well.

3. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Great to see another high profile person 'come out' though, isn't it? And one that is: a) male; and b) doesn't appear to be a fruitcake...

Hutan, Invisible Woman, BurnA and 4 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Yes, so long as it actually is ME, no temporary burnout as seems to have been the case with some who then claim a miraculous recovery with some quack treatment. Note - I'm not questioning his diagnosis, just a little wary of celebrity diagnoses in general. Of course I wish him well.

Your Neighbour, Jan, JCB and 5 others like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

I'm still half expecting him to cure himself, write a book about it, and go on tour to inspire the masses :p No doubt his intentions are good, but if you've only been sick for a year, you're still at the stage where you need to be learning about the existing ME/CFS community, not trying to create a new one on your website.

Sly Saint, Jan, JCB and 11 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I did wonder about his research abilities as a journalist, thinking he has to set something up which, with a little research, he would know already exists.

Woolie, Jan, Luther Blissett and 6 others like this.
  7. adreno

adreno Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Everybody wants their name on the billboard.

8. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yah, an ME diagnosis is so hot right now.

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very true.

Also strikes me as one of the things that most of the healthy don't get and it takes the newbies a long time to come to terms with (understandably) - what's a year when you've started counting in decades? :(

I wish him well. That early on he's got a good chance of seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope that, as a journalist, he'll be curious enough to find out that most of us have been left to rot & used to to further some people's careers.