1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone compared POTS vs ME on a 2-day CPET?

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance treatments' started by Pechius, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm wondering if there is any study or anecdotal evidence of POTS patients undergoing 2-day CPET?

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know of a comparison of people with ME w/POTS(other forms of OI) and people with ME who do not have any form of OI. It'd also be interesting to see how people with OI but without ME do on the 2-day CPET - especially since some clinicians think OI includes PEM (I do not know how stringently they were characterizing PEM).

3. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, that's exactly why I'm asking.

adambeyoncelowe and Hutan like this.
  4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't but such a study would be extremely interesting.
    From lurking around a few POTS forums I get the impression that there are three groups of POTS patients with regard to exercise:
    1) The first group finds exercise beneficial. They may have to do so horizontally but a brisk ride on the recumbent bicycle makes them feel better.
    2) The second group complains of exercise intolerance or post-exertional fatigue.
    3) And the third group, while not using the actual term PEM, describe symptoms that sound very much like PEM.
    This last group is the most interesting. Are they just misdiagnosed and actually have ME? Or is there a subgroup of 'pure' POTS patients that actually experience PEM? In which case PEM wouldn't be unique to ME.

LadyBirb, andypants, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree this would be an interesting question, along with measuring OI specific symptoms post exertion. Personally, I only experience OI after substantial exertion (for me), but it occurs sooner than the rest of the post exertional exacerbation.

andypants, Inara and Pechius like this.