Havana Syndrome: U.S. and Canadian diplomats targeted with possible weapon causing brain injury and neurological symptoms

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by leokitten, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's been critical of them, including the peerage for Claire Fox.

Ash, Ariel and Dx Revision Watch like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey! Emma Thompson and Glenda Jackson live or lived there. George Michael too, didn't he? Although he drove into storefronts, I guess. So that could be a mitigating factor and work in Hampstead's favor.

Mithriel likes this.
  3. dave30th

This is so terrible. How did you find out finally? And what is the legal status of requests to access your own NHS records?

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but that's bit like saying there are some nice people living in Palm Beach.

Amw66, Ash and Mithriel like this.
  5. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is going on in Hampstead? Sorry - I'm from London and live there now; I'm just apparently ignorant. It seems I won't be moving there...?!

FMMM1 likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hampstead is lovely. But it is a favourite place for people into the woo of psychologising. There are lots of other sorts of people there too

Ash, tmrw, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I bought as many of my GP records as I could get a few years ago. I can't see the flags and warning labels that alert doctors, nurses and receptionists to beware of me - that kind of information is withheld by doctors quite legally. They can withhold as many of a patient's records as they wish if they claim it might hurt the patient's mental health to see particular pages.

But it doesn't take a genius to work out what doctors think they know about me when I mention something that should be in my medical records summary and all they do is roll their eyes at me because they don't believe me. I have been scowled at, laughed at, and gaslighted frequently. I found in my medical records summary that many problems I've had have been minimised because the detail is just not there. If a patient has a laparoscopy for example, there are usually findings that ought to be mentioned somewhere in the summary. But no... It just says "Laparoscopy" and nothing else. In one case I had an internal organ removed and the surgeon's report sent to my GP didn't mention it. I find in many of my dealings with doctors that they end up insulting one or more of my honesty, my morality, and my sanity as a matter of course.

Nowadays I try to avoid doctors altogether and just make appointments when the problem I want to see them for is visible.

Sisyphus, alktipping, Amw66 and 14 others like this.
  8. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh Arnie Pye ... I'm speechless. What courage and strength it must have taken from you to stay upright! I'm so sorry for you. I can only wish you the chance to meet on your way a benevolent doctor, who knows how to look at the person first. I really wonder if there are pwme who have not gone through some "trauma" with health workers ... :(

alktipping, Ash, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  9. dave30th

The difference is that we can't be sure there are any nice people living in Palm Beach. Certainly not of the quality of Emma Thompson!

Amw66, tmrw, Lilas and 1 other person like this.
  10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds really horrible. Sorry, you had to go through this.

alktipping, Ash, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  11. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag....he-misconception-about-a-mystery-illness.html

Adam Gaffney’s penchant for dismissing the unknown and engaging in nauseating contrarianism has been discussed on this forum previously. However, I staunchly believe that this article accentuates the extent of his reverence for Wessely, BPS, etc.

Moreover, he’s rather adroitly positioning himself as a stalwart public intellectual and expert on post-infectious illness/medically unexplained symptoms. His wife is a fairly prominent journalist who, despite not practicing medicine or having any medical background to my knowledge, routinely echoes these spurious claims.

I don’t wish to articulate sensationalist rhetoric, but I do harbor extensive concerns that we’re witnessing the gradual ascent of a would be intellectual heir to Wessely, aided and abetted by his own Gerada. I earnestly hope that @dave30th and others with comparable platforms are monitoring this.

12. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Gaffney is a menace. @dave30th should respond to this as he dredges up all the Simon Wesley/BPS stuff in the NY Mag article. Michael Sharpe is retweeting this of course. (Tweet copied from Sharpe’s account)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2021
    Art Vandelay likes this.
  13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's also been strongly pushing that flawed paper that claims long covid is caused by the patient's beliefs:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1458621391083868163

SNT Gatchaman, Wyva and Jaybee00 like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:emoji_bouquet:
    That is absolutely tragic. Her last months spent suffering awful pain and being abused by people who’s job it was to offer care. I am so sorry.

Presumption prejudice bias misogyny sexism ableism sanism* in Drs leads to poor health outcomes, including to ptsd depression anxiety despair injury sickness and death.

I can’t help but feel some more studies on this are in order.

1. People, patients with mental health diagnosis get sick with disease too at least as often as those without a MH diagnosis.

2. Having physical pain that drs haven’t yet successfully located the cause for, is not in fact a symptom of mental illness.:emoji_bouquet:

alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  16. Ash

It is so cruel and unjust.

The power of one man’s prejudice to mark you for a life of care denied.

It doesn’t matter if you were all the labels he gave, you still would require care to keep your body and mind as healthy as possible.

If you had the problems suggested why did it take so long to find out you had these on your records, why did you not receive for these respectful kindly delivered help at time of diagnosis and beyond?

If this dr was correct that your mind was troubled other Drs didn’t trouble themselves to make it less so did they?

No quite the fucking opposite. Blame the victim. Again and again.

It seems often Drs and HCP favour bullying over offer of a medical or psychiatric care.

They feel a ‘psychiatric patient’ as diagnosed by them and their colleges deserves no care through virtue of this diagnosis.

Why do any of us in this world agree that this is morally or rationally or medically acceptable to us?

It is pure eugenics.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  17. Ash

That is why I doubt that many of those Drs out there actually believe the diagnosis they give out. I think it’s very often a power move. Just because they can.

How can we presume good faith when they know how we will be treated by their colleges when labeled with psychiatric illness?

I don’t think we can nor should.

Solidarity

:emoji_fire:

alktipping likes this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New CIA report:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/us/politics/havana-syndrome-cia-report.html

To me this sounds more likely that the idea that a foreign adversary is using a new sonic/energy weapon on a seemingly random selection of different diplomatic employees around the world.

edit: At the same time - did anyone think that a thousand cases were a result of attack from a foreign adversary? Asking all staff from a massive branch of the government to report new and relatively common symptoms like tinnitus was always going to get a huge response unlikely to be related to the initial problems reported. It feels like some military paranoia at being attacked may have been a problem here.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Sisyphus likes this.
  19. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not suggesting anything, just mentioning MKUltra, a CIA operation part of which involved leaving LSD laced sweets and biscuits in their break rooms.

Ash likes this.