1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Improvements

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Tia, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I need to get a room in my house painted. I'm going to have to pay somebody to do it. Obviously I can't move the furniture myself first in preparation and I don't have anyone else who can do it for me. I've been told painter/decorators don't move furniture. Any ideas?

DokaGirl, alktipping, Louie41 and 6 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a similar issue in that I need a couple of ceilings replastering and need work on the lounge floor too, but don't know how I could prepare the rooms!

DokaGirl, alktipping, Louie41 and 4 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Maybe employ a company that offers general building repairs etc. They might be able to get their other employees to shift stuff even if their decorator refuses to do it.

DokaGirl, alktipping, Louie41 and 8 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably some decorators would be willing to move furniture etc if paid to do so, which might mean you are paying skilled worker rates for unskilled work, though if that was the only option it would be worth considering.

I have notice in my area an increase in people advertising for general handyman/odd job work, but don’t know if this is happening more widely.

mango, Hutan, DokaGirl and 10 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My decorators always move the furniture. Usually they put it all in the middle of a room with dust sheets over. And that's two lots of decorators. I think you should be able to find someone who will although it might depend on where you are.

FMMM1, Hutan, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  6. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks all! I'll call around different decorators and ask and if that fails perhaps it'll have to be a handyman, thinking about it, there's probably enough other jobs that need doing around the house to make that worth while if necessary. I find organizing this kind of thing so overwhelming, I just wish I could do it myself like I used to - so much easier. Feel less overwhelmed after your replies though so thank you :)

mango, Hutan, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I explain that I'm disabled, so moving X pieces of furniture would need to be priced into the decorator's time (which signals that you don't expect it done as a favour). They always want to come and look at the job before quoting, so they can see what needs doing easily enough and include it in the total.

In practice, it takes so little time that it doesn't really add to the bill anyway. I always give myself enough time to have moved any lamps, clocks, vases, etc to another room before they come to do the quote – as that's actually the most time-consuming part of the job, it helps to make the furniture-moving look really straightforward!

ETA: I do leave anything heavy, like the TV, for them to deal with. I just clear all the bits and bobs that I can carry easily.

mango, Art Vandelay, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  8. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are quite a few in my local newsletter - don't know if they're any good though!

Tia, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I had a guy that was a handyman to do decorating for the pre sale refurb on my old house. I was able to do moving stuff myself and he then put big furniture in the middle covered with dust sheets and worked round. I found him on a list of trusted traders on the local age U.K. website.

Now I’m refurbing new house I’m mainly getting recommendations for tradespeople through family or neighbours. There’s a local group on an app called next door where people ask for recommendations as well. But obviously you still have to exercise your own judgment on people as well.

if it’s a decorator who said they don’t move furniture it’s likely because they don’t want the job. I had someone to quote for removing my front lawn who’s name i got through wider family and the price he quoted was about 5 times the price I eventually paid.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Dolphin, MeSci, Tia and 7 others like this.
  10. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Decorators don’t move furniture due to the ‘it came apart in my hand problem” so much contemporary or flat pack pieces cannot stand the movement often due to pins or glue failure yet still function if left alone. You may consider what your response will be to damage if you go down the handyman path? We manage to move a lot of our furniture by emptying it entirely and then use a garden spade as a lever / fulcrum protecting floor and furniture with rags. But there is two of us to steady things. Any movement with loaded drawers is a failure waiting to happen. Two spades work surprisingly well given a few days effort.
    Some painters do a ‘bump job’ just paint over existing and run. Year later it starts to peel off. No preparation or multi coats. Only cure is then to sand down and pay more or diy. Past experience.

MeSci, Simbindi and Trish like this.
  11. JoanneS

JoanneS Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have found cheap furniture gliders really useful for moving furniture. I haven't moved anything really heavy, but have moved fridge, sideboard very easily. The hardest job is getting them under the item, 2 people a lot easier than one. Not sure I'm allowed to link, but screenshot shows the item, available from at least a couple of online marketplaces.

Attached Files:

Wits_End, NelliePledge, MeSci and 3 others like this.