1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How can we get a wearable 'horizontalometer' invented?

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Sasha, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably the wrong subforum for this, but for those of us with orthostatic intolerance, it would be good to have a wearable device that you could attach to your trunk that would measure how much of the day you spent horizontal. And it would be great for clinical trials of OI treatments, obviously.

Surely there are engineers looking for projects?

How could we get this thing invented?

2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My wearable (Oura) measures how much time I stay inactive (sitting up) and resting (lying down but not sleeping). It’s pretty accurate! I have no idea how it does it, other than probably an algorithm is involved.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  3. Sasha

That's odd, for a finger-ring. It shouldn't know whether you're horizontal. I'm not sure I'd trust it! :)

andypants and mango like this.
  4. Sasha

adambeyoncelowe, Gecko and mango like this.
  5. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the stats are probably not worth much science wise but like I said, it’s actually pretty accurate based on my activities during the day.

It measures movement and heart rate, and based on movement patterns can calculate if you are resting, inactive or sleeping.

Obviously it’s probably not entirely trustworthy, but my point is that if something like a ring can even come close to measure it it’s probably not that hard to achieve.

mango, adambeyoncelowe and Sasha like this.
  6. Sasha

I take your point but I think that what's needed is something that can detect whether something is horizontal, regardless of heart-rate and movement.

ahimsa, mango, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Smart watches do that. Mine tells me how many hours I sleep and sit down. And move about.

8. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like yours is well behaved - mine likes to tell fibs from time to time. Or maybe I confuse it.

Interesting idea @Sasha.

Indigophoton and Sasha like this.