Impedance, the biomarker you wouldn’t expect

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Hubris, May 6, 2019.

1. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Snow Leopard, Aroa, andypants and 7 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sure this must be interesting, but my brain is not capable of processing such dense information tonight.

I will try again in the morning, but I suspect my brain will no longer allow reading that much new information. We really do need to understand the nature of our cognitive impairments, to know what is variable and what is permenant.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The author seems to be bothered by the thing I was bothered by - why the two electrodes are so close together. I don't understand the need for a nano needle to measure something you might better measure at the macro (or micro) level.

I don't quite see the point of explaining impedance in an essay like this. Those of us who know that impedance depends on a complex number that includes resistance and inductance/capacitance do not need to see the equations. Those that don't are probably not interested. Without information on the contributions of capacitance to the Stanford data it does not help much anyway.

Simon M, Aroa, TrixieStix and 3 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"the biomarker you wouldn’t expect" reflects the authors biases, but I found the article interesting (even as a student of physics) as I do with most of Paolo's articles.

The diagrams in particular are helpful and were something lacking from the original manuscript...

Amw66 likes this.