"Impostors" in Psychiatry

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Inara, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, this is not about psychiatrists as impostors - although it could be :D - but about people who pretended to have a degree in psychiatry and got - partly central - positions in a clinic.

A TV part (ZDF) about Alexandra Beek who pretended to have a PhD and was a psychiatrist two years in Wuppertal and then in Berlin (in the "Wilhelm Sander House", a highly secured forensic prison).

Here's the source, with a video in German: https://www.zwangspsychiatrie.de/2017/06/beweis-forensik-psychiater-wissen-gar-nix/

There's a third impostor, Henry T. It seems, his story was in "BILD" and "Focus online" (two big magazines). I found it here: https://www.zwangspsychiatrie.de/2017/10/psychiatrie-alles-nur-hochstapler/
    Henry T. was previously diagnosed with a psychiatric illness, and then himself became a psychiatrist in the East Frisian Ubbo-Emmius clinic (who is known to apply forced treatments, like electro shocks).

The first was Gert Postel, who did the same and succeeded.

Maybe the Rosenhan experiment is already known:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment

Edit: Unfortunately, this doesn't change psychiatry's power, which - to me - proves it's not about objectivity but politics.

Woolie, Allele, Stuart and 11 others like this.
  2. large donner

large donner Guest

You mean there are real qualifications in psychiatry?

3. Inara

Well, officially you have to make certain certificates, e.g. study psychology or medicine (and then psychiatry).

But those examples show you needn't study at all. :) You just have to learn their way of speaking.

4. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You mean bullshit?

5. Inara

Yeah :D

(Well, to be fair, there are certain interesting parts of psychology...but psychiatry is not.)

Louie41, Wonko, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw some in a jumble sale a while back. Job lot. :angelic::)

7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Woolie, Joh, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  8. Inara

That story is just hilarious! :laugh: the question obviously is who is the "sick" one: the psychiatrist or his "patient"? Reminds me of Freud, Jung, ...

In Germany it's so easy to get psychopharmaceuticals, i.e. no false pretenses needed. :D

9. Inara

Why spend money if you can create certificates all on your own?

Little Bluestem likes this.
  10. Stuart

Stuart Established Member (Voting Rights)

It's a religion and as such only requires initiation by other members of the priesthood. As a faith, of course they needn't check facts!

Inara likes this.