Incidental news correction about ME/CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Canada, news articles that include even a crumb of information about ME are few and far between. So, I was encouraged to find the following:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/01/22/montreal-canadiens-carey-price-dealt-with-chronic-fatigue/

Yes, it's a stretch . . . the story talks about how the Montreal Canadiens' (hockey) goalie dealt with chronic fatigue. What's noteworthy is the Editor's correction at the bottom of the article. It states:

"Editors Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that chronic fatigue is a disease. Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (sic) is a neuroimmune disease, chronic fatigue is simply a symptom of many illnesses."

The Last Word on Sports network primarily covers professional and college sports in North America; but also football, rugby and tennis worldwide. For me, any situation where a broader segment of society is exposed to even a nugget of truth about ME is one more baby step in the right direction in terms of recognition.

2. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happy they did this. I was uncertain he even had ME/CFS but if he did then it should have at least been stated as CFS. And a hockey player with ME, CFS, or ME/CFS is a stretch.

Indigophoton, Wonko, Allele and 4 others like this.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It always amazes me how often the British media seem to cover ME/CFS, whereas here in Canada, we might see a story once every five years.

4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The media has recently gone back to saying Carey Price had "chronic fatigue syndrome". At first read, I thought perhaps a concussion contributed to the "chronic fatigue (syndrome)", but it appears the concussion happened after the CF(S).

Price is apparently having a horrible season. Some guys just can't get a break. :(
    A similar current article stating Price had "chronic fatigue syndrome": https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/better-luck-next-year-montreal-canadiens-edition/ar-BBKIDv8