'Independent inquiry finds serious governance failures at the Royal College of Physicians of London'

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Eleanor, Sep 14, 2024.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An opinion piece in the BMJ by Trisha Greenhalgh, Martin McKee and a few others:

https://www.bmj.com/content/386/bmj.q1983

Hutan, bobbler, Wonko and 10 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that this was very effectively buried. I am a fellow and heard nothing of it. I don't recall the occurrence of an extraordinary general meeting or any political fall-out.

Clearly Dame-hoods are more important than patients. The result is a catastrophe - just part of a bigger catastrophe.

I won't go into the politics but today a party leader has suggested that more money for the NHS is needed now - £5billion. The problem is that it needs to be £60billion now and the physician associate programme needs scrapping today.

Sly Saint, Lou B Lou, MeSci and 14 others like this.
  3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is poor governance an issue at many of the Royal Colleges, or is the RCP an outlier?

edit: I think what I'm really wondering about is how far the different Colleges involve patients in their planning which may be different but related.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024
  4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The MEA has a comment about this on their fb page with a link to the BMJ report which is described as a 45 page independent enquiry by the King's fund.

https://www.bmj.com/content/386/bmj...QZHaz-gKspp2T7fAeQ_aem_BUYWADgm-C_f7Shbm3tHfQ..

"A group of fellows had called the EGM in March to challenge the college’s position on physician associates. The background to this challenge and various versions of what happened before, during, and after the EGM are well documented.23456 Briefly, in September 2023, several fellows were concerned that plans for physician associates to be regulated by the General Medical Council (GMC) and overseen by the Royal College of Physicians had taken insufficient account of patient safety or ........"

edited in:
    ."Crucially, delays in setting up the EGM meant that by the time it was held, the Statutory Instrument had already been passed by Parliament. As the inquiry found, “had the EGM been held before that point, the concerns raised would have been fed into the parliamentary process and may have affected the passage of the legislation” (page 18)."

(I am wondering how much the RCP involve lay people/patients in decisions about future plans/ issues arising. I feel sure that patients would wish to be consulted on this issue of physician associates.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024
    Lou B Lou, Eleanor, MEMarge and 5 others like this.