India Abroad: "Mysterious Chronic Fatigue Syndrome shuts down young adults’ lives"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Webdog, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.indiaabroad.com/health/...cle_693fcce2-190e-11e8-a7b3-7f1e6e75dcc8.html
    Overall a good article that quotes many of the usual suspects: Montoya, Dimmock, Davis. Overall, the article is very California-centric, and quotes several clinicians.

One error: the NIH budget for HIV/AIDS in 2013 was not "$28.8 billion". I think they are off a decimal point.

Another nitpick: The article states "Muscle and joint pain characterize the disease.", but pain is not a required symptom for diagnosis in the United States.

Another one: "the CDC in 2011 dismissed an earlier British study that recommended graded exercise and cognitive therapy for M.E. patients." The CDC didn't reject GET/CBT until 2017.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Yessica, MeSci, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  2. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am thinking the first one, NIH Budget, is correct for the US Federal government overall. In 2018, it will be $34B. Yes, the US Government does fund AIDS to the tune of Billions and Billions and Billions. $2-3B is for NIH research. Every year. And for that much money, you would think we would be a LOT further on in treatments/cure. On Table 1 for FY 2013, you will see the $28.8 B number. Care through Medicare/Medicaid gets $20B in 2018 so a large portion of that number is just for care. Several billion is for global research funding. https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/fact-sheet/u-s-federal-funding-for-hivaids-trends-over-time/

Isn't number 2 correct? Pain is not a required symptom for diagnosis in the US. The CDC page takes you to the SEID criteria (although it does not note SEID but this is the criteria ) which doesn't require pain. But the page notes that pain is often a symptom.

Correct that GET/CBT was not dismissed until 2017. Maybe they meant to state that in 2017 the CDC rejected a 2011 British study.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    dangermouse, Jan, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies for my lack of clarity.

The quote from the article is "Muscle and joint pain characterize the disease."

My muddled comment was that the CDC/SEID/IOM criteria do not have pain as a mandatory symptom. Probably should have used a period and not a comma.

MErmaid and Melanie like this.