1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Individual differences in social network size linked to nucleus accumbens and hippocampal volumes in [FND]: A pilot study, 2019, Perez et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a recommendation at all.

Full title: Individual differences in social network size linked to nucleus accumbens and hippocampal volumes in functional neurological disorder: A pilot study
    Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032719308559
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.jad.2019.07.061

2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only patient-reported scales were used and social network size information was not collected for healthy subjects.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like something that would broadly reflect disease severity, wealth, living circumstances etc. Comparison with a control group adequate for this purpose hasn't been done so who knows whether this tells us anything about FND in particular as the authors seem to think.

ladycatlover, Wonko, Andy and 2 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Team from Harvard

ladycatlover likes this.
  5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I have a few thousand Twitter followers, does that mean my quality of life should be really good, then? Can I get better by getting more follows? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Wonko and 8 others like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I say again :banghead::banghead::banghead:

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would expect health to be a more significant determiner of social network size, regardless of the underlying aetiology, rather than the other way round as this article seems to be suggesting.

Where are the normal controls, where are the comparators with identified biomedical neurological conditions?

What is the relationship between social network size and these brain structures in normals?

Where is the evaluation of social network size in the target patient population pre onset, and how is it impacted by their condition?

Where is the evidence that the links between social network size and life success observed in a normal population are the same in specific patient groups?

Also I can not be repeated too often that correlation is not causation.

Even if there is a correlation between brain structure and social network size, the relationship between the two and of both of them to health is likely to be profoundly complex, and any link to the disabling impact of FND to be even more complex.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Either people on here like @Peter Trewhitt are geniuses or these researchers are really really thick why can they not pick up these issues themselves?

9. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still, at least they have a good sample size, right? Oh wait.

10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The newly learned acronym for the week seems appropriate
    AYFKM