Individually tailored exercise in patients with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome related to post-COVID-19 condition... 2024 Svensson et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 29, 2024.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) occurs in approximately 30% of people with highly symptomatic post-COVID-19 condition (PCC). It involves several symptoms that limit physical and psychological functions and cause reduced quality of life.

Evidence for different treatments of POTS and PCC is limited, and this study aimed to evaluate the feasibility of individually tailored physical exercise. The secondary aim of the study was to evaluate the preliminary effectiveness of this intervention.

Twenty-six participants (81% female, median age 41 years) were enrolled and performed individually tailored endurance and strength training, with progression, for twelve weeks. During the intervention period, the participants had weekly support from a physiotherapist. Feasibility was evaluated with good compliance, with 76% adherence to exercise prescription and 96% completing the study protocol. The treatment was safe, and the evaluation methods (questionnaires, physical assessments, and accelerometer monitoring) were judged to be feasible.

After the intervention, improvements in symptom burden as well as in psychological and physical functions were observed. In conclusion, future randomized controlled trials can be performed with only minor adjustments and could include questionnaires, physical assessment and accelerometer monitoring, which were demonstrated as feasible by this study.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-71055-5

eta:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2024
    Sean likes this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A feasibility trial for the treatment that has been dominant for decades and millions have been subjected to, to widespread and acknowledged failure (while at the same time most seem to pretend that it works, somehow). It's been the target of fanatical obsession and controversy literally for decades, and they think it actually makes sense to go "hey, has someone tried that? to check it if works? no, to check if it's feasible?". The someone, somehow, goes "here's some money from the infinite useless-trial tree".

Health care professionals can be the absolute biggest trolls in the world when they completely turn their brains off about something. You could not possibly conceive of a more trolling behavior than this in any context.

Sean, alktipping and bobbler like this.
  3. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

there was a sort of joke when I was a youth where lads would do something annoying, continually, like poking you as you tried to have a conversation with others, and either say 'are you annoyed yet' or 'does it make you laugh yet' or something other.

This is like that joke on harrassment but without the joke bit really isn't it. Except you know from past methods that they'll tweak what they measure to 'nothing' and change the participants as far as they get away with to those most vulnerable to the coercion and suggestion ie newbies who aren't that ill to have crashes immediately and are in situations where they 'have to hope' that maybe even if it causes their health to seem to get worse short term then maybe the promise will work long term.

The problem with these feasibility trials is that it's a foot in the door in an abusive relationship sense because it is merely testing 'if this magically started being something that xxxxx promise, do you fancy it as something to try' and then not mentioning the instead likely outcome based on a history of it always ending up with people 'dropping out' because they got much worse and even then they won't measure past 6months cos you know... well I'm sure those patient surveys are just anecdotes because they are crazy fools who can't think of any other way of spending the energy they don't have than reporting things.

'howabout if it didn't hurt you this time?' well er, given I've been trained to be called someone negative who is ill because of my lack of hope if I don't say yes, then I guess that would be different?

Is it just me that feels why aren't others picking up on what this behaviour smells of?

Sean, rvallee and alktipping like this.