1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Insecure Attachment and Unexplained Illness, A therapist's map - 21 April 2018

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Cheshire, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

FWIW

With Dr Gwen Adshead, Professor Helen Payne and Professor David Peters

http://www.confer.uk.com/insecure.html

2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

will offer an embodied therapeutic technique for shifting the experience of the symptom and enabling people suffering from MUS to live well.

REALY?

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So many grand claims in a few paragraphs.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From my vague memories of reading about attachment theory and attachment disorder, it suggests to me that this discussion is going to be about spreading the blame for MUS from just the patient to the patient and the patient's parents. Or perhaps just the patient's mother?

5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh how I would love to see this Helen person dance.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure it'd be ugly...

Grigor and Luther Blissett like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

So tired of all this talk of human beings as delicate flowers that can't have any bad stuff happening early in life - without becoming permanently messed up. In some way. Usually mental illness, or depression, or "somatic" illness.

Its obviously not like that, because prior to the mid 20th century, almost everyone had really bad stuff happen to them in childhood, at least by today's standards. Posh people often had distant parents who they rarely saw, multiple (variable) nannies and they often had to deal with boarding school and its bullies. Poor people often had dead parents, or exhausted parents, or parents who drank to relieve their misery, or they had okay parents but got packed off to work at a young age and forced to live miles from their family. Wartime kids, well, there's a whole extra layer. Its a wonder any of the kids who witnessed horrors during wars were able to function at all. But oddly, most did.

If you raise this objection, the defense is always that it depends on the person, and that only vulnerable people succumb. There's some weird combination of horrors/deprivations PLUS being "psychologically weak" that's supposed to explain it.

So let's just cut out the middle man and just say some people are vulnerable to some conditions and other people aren't.

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes, we really have become delicate little flowers, haven't we. Must be all this nutrition and healthcare. :rolleyes:

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

There will come a time when we can even take our clothes off when we dance.

And it will be ugly.

10. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Insecure attachment is a real thing, its connection to illness, i'm just going to facepalm now instead of ranting :emoji_face_palm:

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Webdog, Valentijn, Woolie and 8 others like this.
  12. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This strikes a chord with me as I see Prof David Peters has his ex-job as a GP in the Marylebone Health Centre mentioned in his blurb.

This is a UK NHS GP surgery in central London and I was once a patient there. This is the medical centre that wouldn't treat my chronic sinus problems as my GP there didn't "believe" that there was such a thing. Don't remember Prof Peters there but what a useless bunch of GP's they were.

13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

If we are such delicate flowers how on earth have we managed to endure 30 years of this crap?

The BPS crew are the ones who burst into tears, start name-calling or throw a hissy-fit every time someone disagrees with them.

14. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I checked her dancing background. It's a technique called Laban. You really don't need much skills for that. It's a sort of pedestrian type of contemporary dance.

In other words I'm sure she sucks and yes it will be ugly.

15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stuff like this I can feel is not even worth engaging with, as when people understand the problems with PACE all this chaff will fall too... but I've been thinking that for years now, and come to see how stuff exactly like this can go on to have an influence on how patients are treated!

Trish and ladycatlover like this.
  16. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Funnily enough, those i know with ME are the most emotionally resilient people i know.