Interferon-Lambda: A Potent Regulator of Intestinal Viral Infections, 2017, Lee and Baldridge

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by sometexan84, Sep 24, 2021.

1. sometexan84

sometexan84 New Member

Abstract
    Interferon-lambda (IFN-λ) is a recently described cytokine found to be of critical importance in innate immune regulation of intestinal viruses. Endogenous IFN-λ has potent antiviral effects and has been shown to control multiple intestinal viruses and may represent a factor that contributes to human variability in response to infection. Importantly, recombinant IFN-λ has therapeutic potential against enteric viral infections, many of which lack other effective treatments.

In this mini-review, we describe recent advances regarding IFN-λ-mediated regulation of enteric viruses with important clinical relevance including rotavirus, reovirus, and norovirus. We also briefly discuss IFN-λ interactions with other cytokines important in the intestine, and how IFN-λ may play a role in regulation of intestinal viruses by the commensal microbiome. Finally, we indicate currently outstanding questions regarding IFN-λ control of enteric infections that remain to be explored to enhance our understanding of this important immune molecule.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28713375/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2021
    Peter Trewhitt and Amw66 like this.
  2. sometexan84

sometexan84 New Member

Relevance....

Here's a summary of Interferon Lambda, and some other links that show why this is so important...

Enterovirus in ME/CFS
    • Dr. John Chia finds persistent Enterovirus B (Coxsackie B and/or Echovirus) in nearly all of his ME/CFS patients.
    • He also found that treating these infections, 100% symptom relief completely paralleled with Enterovirus B antibody titers (eradicating the virus resulted in complete remission)
    • This is confirmed here in the Phoenix Rising forum as the vast majority who have tested for Coxsackie B and Echovirus via ARUP (only accurate lab for this test) have high antibody titers to 1 or more of the following...
      • Coxsackie B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6
      • Echovirus 6, 7, 9, 11, 30

Chronic Enterovirus B is usually in your gut (GI tract)*
    • Enteroviruses invade gut/intestinal mucosa, as this is a reservoir for viral persistence. The mucosa consists of epithelial cells
    • Enterovirus found in parietal cells of ME/CFS patients. (Parietal cells are epithelial cells)
    • Again, Enterovirus targets the gastrointestinal epithelium
    • GI Tract, or intestinal epithelium, or intestinal mucosa, all same thing

(GI tract) Intestinal epithelial cells are infected
    • IEC (intestinal epithelial cells) – those in the GI tract (aka barrier, aka mucosa, aka epithelium etc)

GI tract secretes IFN to destroy infection

Enterovirus B eliminated successfully by IFN

but wait... Coxsackie BLOCKS IFN III (lambda)
    • But Coxsackie B evades host’s immune response in the intestine by preventing type I and III IFN expression in epithelial cells
    • CVB cleaves proteins in infected intestinal epithelial cells, blocking IFN III expression.
    • Thus, evading immune response

Peginterferon lambda (IFN III) as strong antiviral

The Enterovirus Theory of Disease Etiology in ME/CFS: A Critical Review (O'Neal and Hanson, 2021)

Video Dr. Byron Hyde - Enterovirus theory?

alktipping, ukxmrv and Peter Trewhitt like this.