Is dorsal root ganglionitis the cause of ME symptoms?

Discussion in 'Possible causes and predisposing factor discussion' started by Woozy, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Woozy

Woozy Established Member (Voting Rights)

I see the ME Association say that dorsal root ganglionitis has been found in people with ME.
    I think sophia Mirza had it. could this be the sole cause of ME and its symptoms?

Ash likes this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that this could be the cause of some of the hypersensitivities to stimuli that people with severe ME experience, such as not being able to bear even light touch. The nerves that enter the dorsal root ganglia are sending information from the periphery to the brain and this messag could well be affected by inflammation at these ganglia.

In my view there is evidence of other abnormalities. These would include impaired production of energy at a cellular level, issues with getting oxygen to the tissues, due to problems with circulation and/or extracting oxygen from the blood. For at least some autoimmunity plays a part.

Ash, Joan Crawford, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me it sounds more like a disorder that can trigger or add to ME symptoms, but not the cause for most people. I suppose ME could cause ganglionitis, through inflammatory signals or some other means.

I'm sure that cancer has been found in PWME too, but that doesn't mean that cancer is the sole cause of ME.

Woozy and Ash like this.