1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is ME A NeuroMuscular Disorder?

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by duncan, Jul 21, 2019.

1. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8, Peter Trewhitt and DokaGirl like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is/are form(s) of Motor Neurone Disease (ALS) that involve cognitive impairment, though it/they tend to have a more rapid progression than the more classic presentation.

I worked with one MND patient who had an unusually slow progression, not unlike Prof Stephen Hawking. Then a [further] member of the family got MND, and they thought yes we know what to expect, but within a few months the relative developed dementia and died.

I must admit in the early stages of my ME [pre diagnosis], this was one of the possibilities I considered for my own condition. My work experience had been largely with degenerative neuromuscular conditions, and it was only when my neurological symptoms showed periods of remission as with my other symptom that I began to relax about possible diagnoses.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    MEMarge, Squeezy, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Still, ME doesn't always have to be degenerative, ie,a dystophy. Perhaps it's an acquired myositis? Or even a genetic-based NM disease triggered by a virus/bacteria/parasite?

I think we need to look to symptoms, and admit they are calling this in real-time. No one knows much about anything. My wife has ATS (a rare NM manifestation) and she could pass easily - and likely would - for an ME/CFS patient were it not for a sliver of a mutant gene that only relatively recently was acknowledged.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    alktipping, Starlight, MeSci and 5 others like this.