1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Vodka Antiseptic?

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Little Bluestem, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I now have injectable B12! :D :emoji_boom: :emoji_balloon: :emoji_bird: :emoji_blossom: :emoji_butterfly: :emoji_confetti_ball: :emoji_dancer:

I have over half of a bottle of vodka left from the DIY transdermal B12. Can I use it to clean the skin where I am going to inject?

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It probably is but i don't think its a proper thing to use.

3. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Better pick up some cleaning alcohol from pharmacy.

Also many people do not use filter needles when preparing the b12 shot, including professional nurses.
    You should however always use filter needle after breaking glass vials.

[​IMG]

Sean, Keebird, Indigophoton and 2 others like this.
  4. Little Bluestem

I have some cleaning alcohol which I have been using. I was just wondering what to do with the vodka. I am not inclined to drink it. Maybe I can clean with it.

That is appalling! Particularly the part about intravenous administration of glass particles.
    My B12 is not in glass vials. It is in a glass with a rubber "stopper" in the top.

5. Mattie

Mattie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok, in that case, not an issue for you. That's good, you can save on expensive filter needles then.
    I had only seen injectable b12 in glass ampoules so far.

6. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

• Cleaning jewellery
    • Removing label glue from glass jars
    • Cleaning glass/mirrors generally
    • Cooking with it ..adding a dash to soups and sauces lifts flavours particularly tomato and garlic dishes or dishes with a lot of cream in them. Some add it to fresh strawberries but without heat I think this is just another way to have a quick tipple without anyone noticing
    • It can be used as a good solvent for making an essential oil pillow spray if you are into that sort of thing

Diwi9, Sean, Indigophoton and 5 others like this.
  7. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All of the above and also it is good for deodorizing. I sometimes add it to the laundry, or in a spray bottle w/ a few drops of some peppermint or other oil and spritz it on musty clothes. Also a solvent for ink.

8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

9. Little Bluestem

I'll pass on he vodka margarine, @TiredSam . :yuck:

TiredSam likes this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I have a 1 litre bottle of denatured 95% ethanol from the hardware store, diluted to approx. 62% (i.e. 2 parts ethanol to 1 part water), that I use for a quick wipe on small scratches, cuts, rashes, sterilising needles to dig out a splinter, etc.

Very cheap and effective disinfectant.

Little Bluestem and Forbin like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to Wikipedia, ethanol's optimum concentration when used as an antiseptic is 70%. Vodka is typically 40% ethanol, so not the best antiseptic, but probably better than nothing.

Some vodka ranges higher, with a theoretical maximum of 95.6% ethanol by distillation. Vodka in the highest range is intended to be mixed with something else to dilute it, and such Vodka is illegal to sell in several US states.

Anyway, ethanol as an antiseptic is most effective at 70%, so even pure ethanol would be less effective for that purpose.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Woolie and Little Bluestem like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

IIRC, the reason for that is the speed of evaporation at different concentrations.

Higher concentrations evaporate faster, which reduces contact time with the organism. Diluting to 65-70% slows down evaporation, which increases contact time with the organism. More contact time (at lethal concentrations of ethanol) = higher kill rates.

13. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes sense. The article I linked above also says, "Absolute ethanol may inactivate microbes without destroying them because the alcohol is unable to fully permeate the microbe's membrane." I don't know why diluted alcohol would more readily cross a membrane, though.

14. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TiredSam just showed you his Bottom :D

15. Little Bluestem

Mine is 75.5%, so it should be pretty good. I could dilute it to 70%, but probably won't bother.

Forbin likes this.