1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk wheelchairs and mobility scooters

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Allele, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

PS You can support them on kickstarter

Edit: Oh, it seems that round has closed.

Wonko and Andy like this.
  3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a bummer that they did not get enough funding. :( While I do not need a wheelchair (yet), I looks like it would be useful for those who do.

Wonko, Woolie and Andy like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I have wondered in the past if there was room for a lot of innovation around wheelchairs. Both in terms of the physical construction to help get over different surfaces etc as well with electric wheelchairs I wondered if they are utilizing battery improvements developed for electric cars and could we have things like self-driving wheelchairs.

5. Viola

Viola Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

@jeckylberry, did you know there's a bird lovers' thread at S4ME? Its under "Off topic Chit-Chat" in the community lounge section.

I've never ventured on there, you bird lovers can be a fruity lot.

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Don't make us send Mama Little Owl around to sort you out:
    little owls.jpg

8. jeckylberry

jeckylberry Established Member (Voting Rights)

Fruity?? Some of us are nutty. Others are a little seedy. Even grubby, I’m afraid. Some are mousy and others are just dead meat. All sorts, really. Thanks for the tip!

9. Pen2

Pen2 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading all these responses are confusing for me. I just gave in and put an order in for a wheelchair.

I came in this blog right when I saw it.
    I have OI which seems to be getting worse as years go by. So I realize to have any kind of life I need a chair.

I just don't know what type to get. The scooter sounds good. @Milo did insurance cover to get your scooter? If you don't mind me asking.

Right now I just asked my Dr what he thinks I should get. I'm worried I'll get a regular wheelchair and it will be too hard to maneuver.

@Allele did you start with a regular chair or will this be your first altogether? Are you using insurance? Do expensive to buy anything electric!

Glad I saw your blog @Allele !
    Pen2

Allele, ladycatlover and Indigophoton like this.
  10. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Pen2 my extended health insurance covered my scooter at 100% (I am in Canada)- so I could pick the one that suited me best. i am allowed a new one every 5 years. It allows me outside without spending much energy, so I am thankful.

11. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Pen2 , I am confused and can't chose either. I don't have insurance for such a thing, so it's all on me, and other sudden unexpected expenses have made a mobility chair/scooter less of a priority right now. I know I need electric as I haven't the strength to push myself, nor someone to push me. Plus, I insist on retaining some degree of self-reliance :p

I hope to take advantage of the suggestions in this thread at some point and go to a local place and try a loaner or even a rental to get a better sense of what is best for me.

Dolphin, MEMarge, Jan and 4 others like this.
  12. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

http://www.wheelchairs.com/

Includes All Terrain and High Performance models.

(sort of like an “off road” chair and a “sports” chair) :emoji_grinning:

13. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They look good @MErmaid - fairly compact. I'd love an off-road wheelchair but they are so expensive. I just look at them wistfully :laugh::(

14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread is so interesting. But sad to read of all your difficulties @Wonko, that stinks.

I cant go out alone ever because it's so unsafe for me, even with good pacing i still regularly crash unexpectedly & suddenly, & then I cant hold myself upright in a chair, & get very confused & disorientated to the point of not knowing where i am or how to get home, often unexpectedly. So after being stepped over in the street, robbed & people thinking I'm having a stroke or going into diabetic coma & wanting to call ambulance, i had to accept that i simply not safe to go out without a chaperone even on a good day :cry:
    So if i did get a scooter i couldn't go out alone as i'd be unable to either steer myself or remember the route home, or indeed be able to communicate coherently enough to ask for help. So no independence here sadly. But I did buy a standard looking large wheeled chair that's made of lightweight metal & had detachable wheels so its dead easy for my carer to lift into the car.

For anyone reading i endorse someone elses comment (sorry i cant find it now to quote) to get suspension... hard wheeled chairs are hell. get the sort with pump up tyres otherwise the bumps vibration are torture.

But this...
    That would be so wonderful... i could go out with my carer, friend & actually steer myself, have control over where i wanted to go, but still be able to have whoever with me intervene & take over at the point i needed it. Was there any info with it? I wept with joy at the thought of being able to have some independence while out.

15. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

If you feel like starting a gofundme page, then I will chip in. That exactly how Jennifer Brea paid for her wheelchair :emoji_grinning: :emoji_wheelchair:

7A111268-D20F-47BE-AD4E-564DBD272354.jpeg

We may need to consider inquiring about the possibility of starting a new thread “could you please help me fund this”, where members could work with the S4ME moderators, gain approval, and have the moderators post a link to their campaign. That way it would be anonymous, because we wouldn’t know whose real name was associated with an avatar name.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    MEMarge, Jan, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  16. Skycloud

Aw that's kind of you to say that :hug:

MEMarge, Jan, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  17. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Well actually I would chip in, since I am a very kind and caring person, and have spent my entire life helping others. But please don’t tell anyone, because it will harm my S4ME “bad ass” reputation :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  18. Skycloud

Well you could just up the bad ass-ery a tad to compensate, no problem. :laugh::laugh:

Really, I wouldn't crowdfund for something I'd like to have rather than actually need, it wouldn't seem fair.

ladycatlover and MErmaid like this.
  19. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Google adds wheelchair-accessible routes to Google Maps :emoji_wheelchair:

To read more:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-maps-adds-wheelchair-accessible-routes/

20. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Jan, Indigophoton and 4 others like this.