Lightning Process study in Norway - Given Ethics Approval February 2022

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Given the standard of reasoning and skill he demonstrates in this interview maybe they didn't ignore his role in the trial

SO if there are not objective criteria that means you can measure what ever you want and draw what ever conclusions you want. I would agree though its not about positive thinking its just coercion and brain washing.

So I've not looked at the protocol but I very much doubt if they have a real control group. They may have another intervention or waitlist group but that is not a control setting the same expectations and balance to counteract bias.
    So it is ok to filter for those most susceptible to bias if you call it part of the treatment
    Makes me wonder about the standard of his research as he doesn't seem to have a basic clue. If I were the ethics committee I would look very carefully at his trials.

Amw66, Kirsten, lycaena and 7 others like this.
  2. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if this will be the last discussion of this in dax18. Henrik Vogt on his Facebook seems to have a lot of things he wants to say, and that this is not the last of it.
    He was on the speaker list until an hour before the show, but then they canceled him. According to his Facebook, which is open for everyone to read.
    Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

mango, alktipping, rainy and 6 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Correct. The plan was to have a waiting list control group who would receive the same intervention ten weeks later than the first group.

alktipping, rainy, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, this is seen as ok as it's "common practice" (what NEM wrote in their decision).

alktipping, rainy, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

This reminds me, last summer when Dagbladet ++ wrote about the project, it was said they used "gold standard" methods, that has not been mentioned this time around. Maybe because someone actually looked at their methodology instead of just assuming the five professors knew better than the patients?

lycaena, alktipping, rainy and 5 others like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

10 weeks also implies that the follow up is very short. We know from CBT and GET that they have short term effects on the questionnaires which dwindle after a while and long term follow up shows nothing. So it seems to be designed in to take advantage of such effects.

inox, alktipping, rainy and 7 others like this.
  7. Parsnip

Parsnip Established Member (Voting Rights)

:p:laugh::rofl:

Thanks for the warning.

Did u also pick up on him saying things that contradicts his previous statements in recentl articles and the protocol? Because i was baffled by his reponses, as he didn't come across as someone who would blatantly lie.

Btw, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask:

But is there anyone who remembers who / where it was said that Live held a talk for people who had broken out of conservative religious enviroments? And asked her to leave soon after she started talking, and went on to discuss how people who haid broken out of enviorments like that might be better at others to recognise certain signs? I belive it was a few years ago, on facebook

Missense, alktipping, rainy and 2 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Nina E. Steinkopf mentioned this in a blog post in 2019:

Google translated quote:

In 2017, Lightning Process Instructor Live Landmark gave a lecture at a seminar for Hjelpekilden. Hjelpekilden is a voluntary organization that provides help and support to people in problematic religious break-out processes. The minutes state:

"It soon became apparent that her method, the Lightning Process, was very similar to the methods used in charismatic religious circles. This therefore led to major reactions from those of our participants who had a background in charismatic circles, and the speaker chose to cancel her speech due to the participants' skepticism.

Despite the fact that there was an unfortunate atmosphere between the speaker and the audience right there and then, the ensuing hour was very positive for the participants. We chose to talk about the different reactions we had, why some reacted, and how this can be a sign, among other things, that you have not finished processing your experiences, since several of the participants were surprised by their own reaction. In addition, we chose to look at various characteristics that characterize us as breakaways, including that our experiences can make us very skeptical of attempts at manipulation ……. "

Sly Saint, Missense, inox and 11 others like this.
  9. Parsnip

I find it strange that this is common practice. Shouldnt they atleast have 'passive' controls to see how many 'recover' on their own? If i remember correctly, didnt the protocol say they would gather employment data after 1-2 years? Couldnt live simply pick the mildest cases of teenagers who recenlty had mono?

Ah thanks. I must have misread it the first time, as i got the impression that it was the others who asked her to leave.

I would say my coaches tactic where exactly like what one would find in a cult.

Edit: minor typo & removed an inappropriate remark

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Missense, alktipping, rainy and 3 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

We could really need a study like that, but for some reason it has not been done.

This might be going off-topic, but I have been wondering if the Norwegian ME Association could ask The universities in Tromsø/Trondheim/Bergen and Oslo(?) to include ME in their population studies. The HUNT-studies that NTNU are responsible for have collected population data since the 1980s, they also have collected genetic, epigenetic, metabolomics and microbiome data for the two most recent rounds. Among questionnaires participants have to answer is one where they can say if they have developed any of a list of diseases. Fibro is one of them, it shouldn't be too hard to also include a new row in such a list with ME.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Kirsten, lycaena, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is he for real?

It doesn't matter what the therapist's intention is.

If a treatment is effective that means it has an effect. Hopefully, applied correctly to the right person, it will have a positive effect. Almost assuredly, incorrect applied or applied to the wrong person it will be detrimental.

There is no such thing as an effective treatment that is universally harmless. Not even aspirin is universally harmless.

I struggle to believe these people don't get this.

Edit - messed up the quote thingy.

Kirsten, Atle, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  12. Parsnip

That sounds like a good idea.

I struggle to belive that these people are allowed to do research.

And would say that Adrian hit the mark.

MEMarge, Kirsten, Atle and 5 others like this.
  13. rainy

rainy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's his point in his book, that psychological therapies actually can cause harm, but that many people are reluctant to believe this.

I read his book once it was announced that he would be involved in the LP study, and he goes into detail about many ways of how therapy can harm patients, and that many therapists are very reluctant to record harm, or even believe harm is happening, and how researchers don't even have to include harm in their study results if they chose not to.

There were so many examples in the book of how therapies are harmful that perfectly describes ways the LP is harmful. It made me wonder why ME patients shouldn't also be protected from harm.

inox, MEMarge, Kirsten and 10 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wait. What?

Did this guy have a straight face when he was doing that interview?

Once again I'm struggling here to believe someone can genuinely have a blind spot the size of a large planet.

If Kennair genuinely can't see the problem then he really shouldn't be involved in patient research.

If he can see the problem....then, he still shouldn't be let loose.

The good thing is he can't deny he has expressed either viewpoint.

The third option is genuine discrimination against pwME.

MEMarge, Kirsten, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  15. rainy

rainy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't understand how in any way a committee can prevent a ME patient being harmed by this trial. The harm is done from the moment they are told that they "chose to have ME" - would the committee have stepped in already in the first minutes of the course?

What good is a committee when patients are traumatized and get permanent worsening from being told to do more because they must decide they don't have ME anymore?

Simbindi, MEMarge, Kirsten and 9 others like this.
  16. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is Kennair saying here that they did actually have objective outcomes? What outcomes is he talking about?

Also, this logic that because ME is defined subjectively that means that subjective questionnaire outcomes are sufficient is extraordinarily bad reasoning. It's like saying the news I see is defined by what I see on my computer screen, so if I use inspect element and change what the headlines say, that means that the news has changed. Or since left-handedness is defined subjectively, humiliating a student until they say they're no longer left handed means they're no longer left handed, as happened many years ago. It's just terrible reasoning, and it beggars belief that reasoning is taken seriously at all.

ME/CFS is defined subjectively, but if you use methods that make questionaires less reliable, objective outcomes can actually give you a better measure of the patients' subjective experience (because nothing actually directly measures the patient's subjective experience, unless medicine has advanced more than I thought). And ME/CFS is also defined behaviorally, not just subjectively.

17. Midnattsol

NAV is the Norwegian disability institution, they were going to use NAV data to see if people improved their work capacity.

18. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you know if they were going to do that as a long term follow up, or just check at the end of the ten weeks?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  19. Midnattsol

In the project description this is what is said about the follow up data collection (rewritten by me):

NAV: 12 months before and 12-24 months after intervention.
    Follow up conversation: Two, four and six weeks after intervention, and at six months. Additional follow up as needed.

20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which conveniently eliminates the possibility to collect long term followup comparisons.