1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Local anaesthetic for ingrown toenail

Discussion in 'Other specific illnesses' started by Sarah94, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a turn up for the books!

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh Sarah, I thought you were playing a joke and that you healed with CBT :rofl:

Glad it's fine now.

3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nah, my Cursed Bloody Toe just randomly got better I’m very grateful.

alktipping, Mij, lunarainbows and 3 others like this.
  4. SunnyK

SunnyK Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, I'm so glad that you didn't need ingrown-toenail surgery. I think how local anesthetic injections feel depends so much upon the location of the injection (more painful in the mouth than, say, in the arm--I just had to have a tongue biopsy a few weeks ago, and the injections into my tongue were more painful but still not that bad), the person's pain tolerance, anticipation of pain, etc. Ever since I first started having to deal with needles regularly as a little girl, I learned not to watch the needle going in--as an adult with no more fear of needles (except IVs--my veins are so bad that I'd rather have a bone-marrow aspiration than an IV any day of the week), I tried once looking at a phlebotomist as she was inserting the needle and it was perhaps a tiny bit more painful? However, I give myself injections every week (used to be into my thigh and into my stomach, now just into my stomach) and have to look, obviously, for that, and it's fine.

I will say that, as a child who was terrified of needles when I first became ill, it took me a while to get to the point where needles no longer freaked me out. I guess it's like phobia treatment--the more exposure, the less you fear. Not that I'm suggesting you buy needles and stick yourself regularly just to get that exposure.