London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine - LSHTM 120 keynote lecture: Alumni on the frontline of innovation 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A rare point of agreement.

Unfortunately he chose to treat his failures as personal success, no matter the consequences to others.

He seems a rare animal who acknowledges his failures but seems to treat them as being universal, rather than personal, that his personal failures mean everyone would fail, therefore the matter is settled and should be codified into practice.

In short: hubris. Possibly the worst trait in a physician, one for which all the consequences are born by vulnerable people, which he then chose to attack, malign and oppress, possibly knowing it was leading to massive suffering and death but not particularly bothered by it since he's done pretty well for himself.

As usual, it's the reaction of others that is telling. That he is celebrated as a great physician despite objectively being a failure. Really disappointed in the medical profession for this.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The early models of small wind turbines had that problem. It was a very real problem and anyone who has ever dealt with a beeping fire alarm for any period of time understands how even a small whiny noise can be a real pain in the donkey. Not particularly surprising that the people most likely to investigate this, older men, are unlikely to hear it and thus reject the hypothesis.

Fortunately larger wind turbines are way more efficient so small ones are rarely used anymore, otherwise using different designs.

alktipping, MEMarge and Mithriel like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

His modesty is entirely false. Self-deprecation is one of his favoured manipulative devices.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For sure! I'd love a look thanks.

MEMarge likes this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I might pass on watching this. Somehow I don't think I could stomach it.

alktipping, TiredSam and MEMarge like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was infra sound ( low frequency wavelength) not researched as a potential weapon in 1950s?

8. Lucibee

Indeed, and it persists to this day, apparently... The psychoacoustic effect of infrasonic, sonic and ultrasonic frequencies within non-lethal military warfare techniques.

This article on Slate conflates the Havana sonic attack with mass hysteria and likens it to wind turbine syndrome: Cuba's sonic attacks.

But more recent evidence suggests that it might have been due to crickets.

Attributing such things to "mass hysteria" is just lazy.

Hutan and MEMarge like this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the Havana incident had subsequently found to be related to pesticide use against Zika virus? The place had been doused with 5 times the normal amount to be on the safe side?
    Perhaps I am confused with something else.

MEMarge likes this.
  10. Lucibee

That seems much more likely. Found it here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/havana-syndrome-neurotoxin-enquĂȘte-1.5288609

I'm now wondering whether I've been poisoning myself by liberal use of ant powder to get rid of the pesky carpet moths. :sick::dead:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    MEMarge and Amw66 like this.