Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have tried uploading file but error of file too big. I’ll try smaller/lower resolution photo?‍♀️

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Warning - this is upsetting and emotional reading about NHS/doctor/paediatrician treatment of a young girl who caught Covid in early 2020 :

Code:
    https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1631013894197071877
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1631013894197071877

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2023
    Binkie4, alktipping, Lilas and 5 others like this.
  3. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I grieve for this poor child, and the inhumane, ghoulish behavior inflicted upon her. This is a snapshot of medicine, of the system that allows figures we know well to thrive. Gaffney, Wessely, Carson, etc are a symptom, rather than a cause, of such a contemptuous business.

alktipping, Ariel, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Amw66

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's hard to put into perspective just how morally and intellectually bankrupt the BPS model is, how disastrous the decades of coercive implementation have been.

In threads like this, What are your most serious symptoms?, universally what you find is that none of the BPS stuff is ever mentioned, while everything they refuse to acknowledge is all that is ever mentioned. They are literally and as completely wrong and useless as can possibly be. Their list of priorities, and our list of priorities, have no overlap whatsoever. This is actually hard to achieve randomly. It's failure by design.

There is nothing comparable to this anywhere else. It's like a restaurant that doesn't even think food is relevant to their business. It's genuinely hard to find analogies that aren't too absurd to compare to.

Literally zero overlap. Of course they're failing us. No one can succeed at anything by rejecting reality and substituting it with useless fairy tales. This approach has never worked once.

Apparently there is a Guardian article today that is basically a "woe is me" from doctors saying they're struggling to help with Long Covid. They freaking chose all of this. We told them the whole time and it's well-documented. They did it again. The exact same way, for the exact same reasons, with the exact circular reasoning and logical fallacies. And they are surprised that it's not working out? But somehow it's none of their fault?! What is this absurd dystopian nonsense?

EzzieD, Amw66, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  7. rvallee

The CDC has acknowledged that COVID infections cause long-term health issues in all bodily systems. Buried in a brief about how to code deaths. Not much public awareness of this, the hopium must flow.

The starting position regarding this was that this would never happen, because "viruses don't do this". Loud, and accurate, warnings and research proposals were poo-pooed away as fearmongering, or whatever. All of it, hence the refusal to consider researching it at all.

Emerging evidence suggests that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes COVID-19, can have lasting effects on nearly every organ and organ system of the body weeks, months, and potentially years after infection (11,12). Documented serious post-COVID-19 conditions include cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological, renal, endocrine, hematological, and gastrointestinal complications (8), as well as death (13).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

EzzieD, alktipping, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘We are struggling’: doctors faced with vacuum of information on long Covid (Guardian)

I have a problem with this bit —

Nope — that's just the person that sounds like a financially / socially privileged, previously healthy, white male. I think you might be ignoring the stigma for the other demographics because it's so established it's not even considered a stigma, just normalised societal thinking.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Binkie4, Hutan, Missense and 16 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Leaving aside whatever the initial intentions of this approach were, it is clear that it has now degenerated into arse covering by any means.
    Indeed. Though that is a good one.

It is one of the main problems we face. Most people with no knowledge of what has happened really do struggle to both understand the situation, and deal with how confronting it is. The reaction by most is to just walk away from it, even if they are sympathetic to patients' dilemma.

I get it, and am not angry at them for that choice. Might as well be asking them to solve world hunger. But it doesn't help fix the problem in any way either.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Hutan, Lilas, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  10. rvallee

They are acknowledging some mistakes they made. They were told all about those mistakes from day 1. And pretty much constantly the whole time. Very precise and accurate warnings. They're the same mistakes that failed us for decades. Repeated again for the same reasons.

Many LC advocates pointed those out, how they were ignored, talked over, etc. They raised those concerns, made the people in charge aware. We aren't invisible, we are deliberately ignored as if we don't exist. Even when we tell them things they later admit. The same mistakes that failed us for decades. They still don't change anything in how they work, still can't even look at us.

Same with athletes and very fit people. It was beyond obvious within weeks, patients reported it all the damn time. It invalidated all the nonsense about deconditioning, so it was ignored to the point of being suppressed.

They were told about all the mistakes they were about to make, then made them anyway, and now they're saying "we made mistakes", while pretending they couldn't have known any better. And it seems they wasted most of that $1.15B on those mistakes and there isn't any more coming.

This is why they fail us. No accountability. No recognition that there are people who actually know what they are doing here, have drawn a roadmap, the very same roadmap some now admit should have been taken, told them about all the mistakes they were about to make.

So are they going to change? Anything at all? Work differently? Doesn't seem so. No indication of that anywhere.

11. Amw66

12. Amw66

13. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not entirely unreasonable to be surprised that LC causes such a high rate of complications in young, previously healthy people. I was shocked when I learned in spring 2020 that Covid was leaving people in their 20s and 30s disabled. (I didn't know I had ME back then.) And it's good to acknowledge the stigma of being "too young" to be sick. What matters is updating your assumptions when proven wrong.

14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘Starting point’ for long COVID management should be treating symptoms, empathy
    https://www.healio.com/news/rheumat...anagement-should-be-treating-symptoms-empathy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
    Sean, RedFox, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, Forestvon, Sean and 9 others like this.
  17. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Liked but I found article 'disappointing' in it's content.

Hutan, alktipping, Sean and 2 others like this.
  19. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here’s a piece from the same Lenny Calabrese. I think you’ll find a lot of the tropes noxious, devoid of empirical support, and demented. Learned helplessness makes an appearance! How Calabrese is now being consulted as an expert is bewildering and disturbing. I hope everyone gives this link a cursory glance!

https://www.ccjm.org/content/ccjom/66/6/343.full.pdf

Hutan, EzzieD, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  20. rvallee

Why does he keep saying they know about this when they clearly don't? That annoys me so much. No, you are not familiar with this. WTH?

And you can't treat symptoms because medicine only knows how to do that when they know the biological mechanism. FFS get a grip about what you're working with, you failed to do something and have to start from scratch, accept and move on, damnit.

Also, if we depend on empathy here, the universe have mercy on us because we are fuuuuuucked. Gonna need a plan B here. Maybe just skip the empathy gap and work with patients at all levels, so you get first-hand information instead of terribly distorted third-party perspective that fits everything in boxes and doesn't any boxes for any of this.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Hutan, EzzieD, alktipping and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.