Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Went alright until they started about exercise.

bobbler, Lou B Lou, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

POTS.PNG

https://twitter.com/user/status/1671624028401041408

livinglighter, RedFox, ahimsa and 3 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2023
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Podcast: The Rest is Politics. Ep "Question Time: The War On Drugs, a Tory Green Party, and Long Covid". 2 min segment @24:00.

Qn: "Lack of research funding for long Covid has broad implications if many are unable to work because of an illness that has been denied and psychologised."

ukxmrv, EzzieD, livinglighter and 8 others like this.
  6. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1672234761325281281

Sly Saint, Amw66, Sean and 2 others like this.
  8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Saw this on twitter - link to tweet is in the quote block.

Text: "This paper about the impact of Long Covid on language & cognitive function is frankly devastating. A couple examples of how affected individuals fared when confronted with photos of objects & asked to name them. Lots of struggling & pauses."
    Here's the link to the study she's talking about, not sure if we have a thread for it yet (didn't see it).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2949903823000015

9. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long Covid sufferers feel forgotten three years on

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-65952112

I didn't read the whole thing but there's a photo of a patient's list of their symptoms. I remember during those first 3-4 years thinking that if I was careful to record all my symptoms then eventually the doctors would figure it out the diagnosis and I'd get treatment.

Toward the end I saw this

"Although there are no long Covid clinics in Wales, it said rehabilitation services could be accessed through GPs"

I have no idea why news articles keeps mentioning rehabilitation services!

We know that exercise doesn't help (at least not the Long Covid patients with PEM/PESE and/or a diagnosis of ME). And it usually makes things worse. So what kind of rehab are they talking about?

10. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Can't find the article again, but our national news wrote that people on sick leave from covid had a sick leave four time as long as others.

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably not this article, but it probably came from the same source. It's a CDC study saying LC contributes to the labor shortage.

CDC: Research Says Long Covid “Contributing” to Labor Shortage
    https://tech.co/news/cdc-research-long-covid-labor-shortage

It seems they discussed this in a call: https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/calls/2023/callinfo_061523.asp.

And as any expert worth their salt knows, you can't understand what you don't measure, and you can't solve what you don't understand. LC is still not being measured, it's barely estimated and usually with heavy bias. So of course it hasn't been solved.

Solving problems requires putting a sincere effort based on real data and a process that builds expertise based on experimentation and results. And we keep seeing articles that talk about the useless clinics are basically having solved it all already, so fake results are fed back in the loop as valid data. No system can function when you throw garbage at it tagged as valid data. Never works. Never happened.

It is a blind spot for policymakers. It's not a coincidence, the experts tasked with informing policymakers are part of the coverup.

ahimsa, Sean, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  12. Midnattsol

I wish I could find it again (NRK's search bar is terrible), I'm pretty sure it was data pulled from our own national registries. Sick leaves are on record levels since swine flu, and one of the more likely diagnoses long covid patients could end up getting ("tired") is partly behind the increase. Those who had corona in their records also were longer on sick leave than others.

13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was it this article?
    https://www.nrk.no/rogaland/sterk-s...efravaer-med-trotthet-og-slapphet_-1.16443369

It's based on a recent press release from NAV which has more details and statistics: https://www.nav.no/no/nav-og-samfun...orona-og-sykefravaer-med-trotthet-og-slapphet

14. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Guardian: Health bosses warn of heart disease emergency in England

That's excess cardiovascular deaths, not acute Covid.

Definitely a factor, but I think too much emphasis on explanation via the indirect path risks mis-targeting research and understanding.

alktipping, ahimsa, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  15. Midnattsol

That's the one, thanks Kalliope :) The NAV statistics came out 1. June, so they took their time to write an article about it. The March statistics were disseminated a lot quicker. And as always, I'm happy by the lack of public health officials saying long term effects from covid is just anxiety and we should not talk about it so it would go away.

alktipping, mango, merylg and 6 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TYMEs Trust were doing a lot of work on this (I'm guessing Binita Kane is aware); they (Jane Colby) seem to have gone very quiet. Nothing on their twitter ac/website for over a year?

Amw66, mango, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  18. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WHO: Nearly 36 million in Europe suffering from 'long COVID'

One in 30 Europeans may have developed "long COVID" in the first three years of the pandemic, the World Health Organization's (WHO) European office said on Tuesday, warning that the coronavirus has not gone away.

Since 2020, nearly 36 million people in the European region are believed to have contracted long-lasting health problems after being infected with COVID-19, the global health body said.

Addressing a press conference in Copenhagen on Tuesday, WHO regional director Hans Kluge stressed that "long COVID remains a complex condition we still know very little about."

He described the condition as a "glaring blindspot in our knowledge." To understand COVID-19 more accurately, there is much more need to be done, he added.

ahimsa, Lou B Lou, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Lou B Lou, Sean and 2 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.