Long Covid in the media and social media 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Jan 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A new name for an old syndrome?
    22 NOVEMBER 2023

MEGAN VASQUEZ

NO COMMENTS

What if long Covid is not a form of Covid-19, but an expression of a more comprehensive multisystem disease?
    https://dividendwealth.co.uk/a-new-name-for-an-old-syndrome/
    ---
    This paragraph is frustrating:

Louie41, Solstice, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What horseshit. There is no such thing as treatments that directly affect patients' health that doesn't understand the biology. And there is no detecting a disease without that either. Decades of wasted pseudoscience have proven that, not just for treatment but for simply acknowledging reality. Evidence-based medicine without an understanding of the underlying of biology is a complete sham, a scam, even.

And none of the rest will happen without it either. This is pure fantasy, literally the current failed paradigm. This reads like oil industry executives saying that the solution to climate change is more fossil fuels. Or that the solution to the harm of tobacco smoking is... smoking more tobacco.

Louie41, anniekim, bobbler and 17 others like this.
  4. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Solstice, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

David M Tuller The Launch of The Sick Times, a new online publication

Presentation:
    In mid-November, Betsy Ladyzhets and Miles Griffis, two smart, young journalists, announced the launch of The Sick Times (https://thesicktimes.org/), an online publication focused on long Covid and related syndromes, including ME/CFS. I have met both of them in the last couple of years and have been impressed with work covering the pandemic, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how The Sick Times evolves. (I interviewed Ladyzhets earlier this year about her investigation of the U.S. National Institutes of Health’s RECOVER program for long Covid, which was published by STAT.) I talked with Ladyzhets and Griffis the other day about why they started The Sick Times, their plans for the publication, and related issues.

MEMarge, Ash, Sean and 7 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. SNT Gatchaman

10. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opinion piece in a Swedish newspaper:

”Fel att begränsa tillgången till vaccin mot covid-19”
    https://www.dn.se/debatt/fel-att-begransa-tillgangen-till-vaccin-mot-covid-19/
    ETA link to the study mentioned above:

Covid-19 vaccine effectiveness against post-covid-19 condition among 589 722 individuals in Sweden: population based cohort study
    https://www.bmj.com/content/383/bmj-2023-076990

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Louie41, RedFox, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  11. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the New York Times, published on November 22:

How Viral Infections Cause Long-Term Health Problems

Link below should be gift link, no paywall. (not from me, found online)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/22/...e_code=1.B00.AFnK.pxaI-7YwW5MC&smid=url-share

DokaGirl, MEMarge, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2023
  13. rvallee

14. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bah! an epidemiologist from the Norwegian Institute for Public Health was on TV today claiming the only thing you can get from Covid is Covid. No such thing as pulmonary disease post covid or other things :banghead:

15. SNT Gatchaman

"The only thing you can get from HIV is HIV."

16. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Simultaneously he is ignoring the ever growing number of people on sick leave, new numbers from Norway this week ("general and unspecified" diagnosis group is where you will find most ME patients as it contains "Fatigue"):
    https://www.nav.no/no/nav-og-samfun...i-3.kvartal-storst-okning-i-psykiske-lidelser

However I believe this is an undercount. The highest increase now is in mental health, and I don't doubt there are ME and/or POTS symptoms that are being misdiagnosed as depression and/or anxiety. The group with the steepest increase is in hotels and service, and I can just image those I know working at restaurants trying to deal with POTS... they wouldn't be able to.

At least the head of the "Corona study" has become more visible in the media the last week (and we was in the tv debate unless there's been another one?), flat out stating that the (Norwegian) National Institute of Public Health is minimizing the seriousness of covid and its consequences. He stated some months ago he has been surprised by how little interest FHI has shown in his data.. and well I'm not given their view on ME/CFS.

Edit: NIPH/FHI hasn't even been able to upgrade their web page for pregnancy and covid with their own study on risk of still birth following covid infection. Or anything really besides vaccine studies since 2021. Interesting how we seemingly learned everything there is to know about the virus by then.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    DokaGirl, Louie41, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long COVID Rates Appear to Be Decreasing

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/long-covid-rates-appear-to-be-decreasing/
    (line breaks added)

DokaGirl, Louie41, Sean and 7 others like this.
  19. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's good to see some acknowledgement that Long Covid isn't just 'fatigue' and could be permanent:

Archive link to the article.

DokaGirl, Louie41, Sean and 9 others like this.
  20. rvallee

The same was said for Omicron, and it was just wishful thinking. No one's actually counting. And attributing this to treatments? What treatments? Immunity? It's mutating so wildly that past immunity makes little difference, hence why there is currently a massive surge. Just like every wave was called the last, then we heard then were would be no more waves because it was endemic, even though now we have both. Fantasy-medicine healthcare yet again increasing the credibility debt.

DokaGirl, Louie41, mango and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.