1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

LSD

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Marky, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone here tried LSD while on ME?

The reason im asking is because if that say gave huge symptom relief, it could tell us something about the involvement of neural networks in the pathophysiology.

Research on LSD indicates that that the functional connections in the brain stop working as before, and new connections are formed. Sort of like a temporary partly data reset

If Abilify proved to work in say a phase 2 or 3 study, it might be worth looking into

Jonathans signalling theory also comes to mind

I believe in Denmark they are seeing some preliminary success with LSD for depression

Interested to hear your thoughts

Sing, sebaaa, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I assume it's still illegal to buy or sell it here, so it would only be accessible as part of a highly regulated clinical trial, of which, as far as I know, there have not been any for ME/CFS.

Edited grammar.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    sebaaa, Sarah94, Marky and 1 other person like this.
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope. Only before ME. Both very pleasant experiences. Would definitely try LSD, mushrooms, and ketamine to see what affect they had on my symptoms. Ridiculous that these chemicals/molecules are banned. The war on drugs has been an absolute disaster for our understanding and utilisation of psychadelic substances. This is slowly changing, but it's all much too slow.

BrightCandle, sebaaa, Marky and 2 others like this.
  4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to use LSD and magic mushrooms quite a lot before ME, but I don't think I have used them since, except an inadequate amount of mushrooms some years back (wasn't enough to give me a proper trip).

They both usually made me feel refreshed afterwards, and pretty good during the trip too, except for some mild but annoying back pains with LSD.

I had a couple of somewhat 'bad trips' but nothing too severe, one apparently due to taking with people I didn't know, so that I got a bit paranoid, which was fixed by taking some amphetamine (yes - I did most things!). I definitely don't recommend amphetamine, as I got hooked and lost my job as a result.

My last 2 or 3 LSD trips were not good, and I stopped taking it. I became very sad on the drug.

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched a program recently about how the hallucinogenic chemical psilocybin produced in some mushrooms helped people with major depression in a study that also included supportive psychotherapy.

Apparently it has effects similar to LSD.

Patients grew their own at home.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Having known people who had lost friends who jumped from buildings to their death thinking they could fly while on LSD, I'd be very wary of experimenting.

8. Marky

i guess one should not listen to R. Kelly whilst trying LSD

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A reliable source who had the relevant mushrooms growing in their back garden, and tried them, several times, found no change in ME/CFS symptoms.

With my 'mother' hat on, I'd say that causing 'functional connections in the brain to stop working as before and new connections to be formed' sounds, if it is anything more significant than what happens with any experience, uncomfortably like brain damage, and unpredictable brain damage at that.

sebaaa, Peter Trewhitt, Trish and 6 others like this.
  10. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I took LSD about 100 times, and still easily passed IQ tests and got a Grade 1 Masters degree later. I don't think that it stops anything working. Maybe it gets extra things working? That's what it feels like.

11. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MeSci, Sing and Marky like this.
  12. Marky

there is some neuroimaging showing what happens, a shift in function. Ill look it up when im not crashing :)

Sing and Hutan like this.
  13. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done LSD once or twice while mild, never noticed any effect on symptoms.

I would happily try again now that I am more severe, but honestly I'd be worried more about a bad trip than anything else.

14. Marky

thanks for sharing! thats what i was curious about. and yea i would be as well. Last time i got too high i was talking about planting potatoes on the moon, and i could not open the toilet door at a party to the frustration of people waiting