1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lymph glands and impact

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Amw66, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The common feature of throat/ underarm lymph glands being swollen and problematic in PEM has been discussed.

Given there are lymphs in multiple other places, could these account for other symptoms, eg at head/ neck contributing to increased pain: in lungs perhaps to air hunger: in brain contributing to brain fog.

My daughter has issues with lymphs - we could almost draw a join the lymphs puzzle when in PEM by the areas affected

Do other people experience this and has there been any scientific exploration of this ?

MarcNotMark, Webdog, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have often felt the lymphatic system plays a key role in this illness. I have problems with lymph nodes in my neck and upper chest on my left side only.

It is my understanding that there are still a lot of unknowns about this system. It was only recently that it was confirmed that the brain has it's own lympatic system, which comprises a network of vessels (not sure about glands/nodes as such).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...a-new-system-of-vessels-in-our-brains/542037/

Issues with the lymphatic system can be caused by so many different illnesses and conditions, it is hard to know their relevence in ME. If the immune system is working hard, the lymphatic system will likely be under increased stress.

Webdog and DokaGirl like this.