1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Meaning of the word 'malaise' and its use in the term Post-exertional malaise (PEM)

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Jonathan Edwards, Apr 25, 2022.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me neither John, in fact I have missed flu/infections for a few days on several occasions because the experience, the sensation, is indistinguishable. The only things that prompts me question whether i have an actual fever & take my temperature, is when
    a) i get a bad cough
    b) the cognitive isnt 'bad enough' in relation to my other symptoms - so i am able to function better cognitively than i would expect with that level of PEM
    c)or the lack of fluctuation, so PEM still fluctuates/changes throughout the day, whereas flu/infection symptoms are more constant (excepting use of pain killers etc)

But it takes me at least 48hrs to question it, even then, unless the cough is very bad.

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OR they assume the patient is not self-aware enough to tell the difference, or the patient is catastrophizing because they read an article in Psych today.

So do depression and grief and ennui and eating too much turkey and laughing too hard, that is, cause weariness out of proportion.

And if fatigue is meant to be in lieu of exhaustion, I'd suggest changing to exhaustion because degree matters. Degree matters. Intensity matters. Levels matter. Medicine gets that as long as it's something objective and overt and mechanically measurable (although they still even get that wrong).

But it often seems to forget degrees - or is indifferent to them - when it comes to subjective symptoms. They'd generally rather err on the side of understatement, frequently at patients' expense, and call that understatement caution or prudence or whatever.

What ever happened to striving for accuracy in medicine, broadly speaking?

I'm not directing this little rant at you, @Jonathan Edwards. I'm just yelling at the greater medical community.

It is what it is, this artifact of distrust and condescension, and not easy for the medical community to overcome, especially with the friction that would ensue.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Snow Leopard, alktipping and Wonko like this.
  3. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You bring back memories of how it was for me in my early years of ME when I didn't know I had ME.

Hoopoe, bobbler, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

rvallee and Snowdrop like this.