1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Media items about obesity

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Helen, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do you mean by basic foods? I don't think lamb is that popular in N America? In the spring there is plenty of leg of lamb at my grocery store from Aussie and N Zealand.

DokaGirl likes this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most people view "diets" for weight loss as something that is temporary which is why 95% of the time they don't work. To lose weight, and to keep it off, people have to make permanent life style changes. By changing their eating habits, and understanding that it is permanent - not temporary - it is possible to lose excess weight and keep it off. "Weight Watchers" (or WW as they are now known) is the most successful weight loss business, however, they aren't successful because people lose weight and keep it off. They are successful because after people put the weight back on, they usually sign up again to lose the weight over again. At the end of the day, the average weight loss of WW is only 6 lbs. Not very impressive.

Wyva, DokaGirl and Wonko like this.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is so true. American portions sizes can be ridiculously large. And, unfortunately, that trend has been spreading into Canada over time, though I don't think it is quite as bad. At least not yet.

DokaGirl likes this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Things found in old recipes, such as flours or grains or seeds. Over the years I've noticed several such things disappear from the shelves.

It's not just foods. Ammonia used to be a common cleanser. I looked for some recently, and couldn't find any. Replaced by fancy brand-named cleansers.

Wonko likes this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That could be the case in super markets.

I normally buy my grains, flours, nuts seed etc at the health food store or online.

6. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maintenance is the hardest. Why? Before one lists all the reasons, one need to remember that science hasn’t figured it out either. It can be a form of addiction similar to nicotine and we all know that for smokers, kicking the habit is very difficult. The difference here is that you still need to eat and constantly make the right decisions about what goes into your mouth.

8. Milo

People would be surprised of the calorie content of the meals in restaurants. A typical meal would amount to 1500 calories, more than a daily intake for a full day. I wish it would be law that calorie content was added to each menu item. (Not that i eat out a lot)

leokitten and TigerLilea like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The easy fix is not to put sugar, in it's many and modified/synthetic forms into everything.

It'd also be nice if they only used natural fats, and did not process the hell out of everything to make an extra 5p per tonne of product.

Maybe take it as a hint that if, after preparation, in the commercial taste kitchens, something tastes like &*(&, then maybe people should not be eating it, and not as an excuse to fill it up with other things to make it more palatable.

Food is supposed to have some form of nutrition, not just calories.

It appears that the vast majority of 'food', stuff sold as food anyway, is so far from being food, according to our senses, that they have to fill it with possibly 30-40 other non food things, merely to convince our bodies that it is indeed edible, enough to allow us to eat it anyway.

They also seem to have perfected the 'art' of making such things addictive, so addictive non food, that contains nothing but calories and other nice things that muck up out bodies - recipe for a world full of healthy thin people, not.

..and in answer to the above point of shops no longer selling things that always used to be 'food', and other things.

Even over the last 2 years it has become impossible for me to buy, from supermarkets online, many items that I have eaten for years - in a lot of cases simple, natural ingredients. Other things like cleaning products (e.g. white vinegar, a really cheap cleaning constituent) are either, in most cases, unavailable, or repackaged and super expensive (e.g. again white vinegar can now only be bought in 500ml extremely dilute form in a supermarket, for about £1, in 5L containers it's around £4, and that's a significant hike, when the supermarkets used ot sell it in larger containers it worked out under half that price).

Many things that can still be bought online, and not in supermarkets, any more, work out 5-10 times the price on amazon or health food shops compared with what supermarkets charged, when they sold it.

shak8 and leokitten like this.
  10. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also the fact that once you become overweight or obese for long enough your body considers it the new set point and fights you to stay there, and even worse if you lose weight your metabolism is slower than what it was when you were originally at that lower weight, i.e. the “Biggest Loser” show study described these phenomena. Their basal metabolic rates were much lower after they lost weight compared to when they were originally at that lower weight before gaining, even years later!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Michelle, Jaybee00, sb4 and 2 others like this.
  11. Milo

Me too, significant weight gain months before contracting EBV

12. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also EBV, but I was very athletic when it hit me. I did 1000 calorie workouts regularly without a problem, I was slim and visibly muscular (not bodybuilder level though). I still developed ME. :(

(As a sidenote, naturally I started working out again almost right away, although I wasn't capable of doing the same intense workouts at all but my goal was to get back to that level. I'm a walking n=1 example that this is not a cure, it didn't cure me.)

Trish, Wonko and Snow Leopard like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No surprises here...

Title : Short-Term Energy Restriction Leads to Overall Increase in Appetite

Link : https://www.endocrinologyadvisor.co...intake-increased-exercise-increases-appetite/

Wonko likes this.