Medscape CME - A Fresh Look at ME/CFS : Diagnosis and Management of a Multisystem Illness

Discussion in 'Training courses' started by Kalliope, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Released: 12/21/2021

A Fresh Look at Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Diagnosis and Management of a Multisystem Illness

This activity is intended for primary care physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, and other healthcare providers (HCPs) involved in the diagnosis and management of myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

The goal of this activity is to increase awareness of the symptoms, diagnosis, and management of ME/CFS.

Upon completion of this activity, participants will:

• Have increased knowledge regarding the
      • Impact of ME/CFS on multiple body systems
      • Symptom recognition of ME/CFS
    • Have greater competence related to
      • Individualizing a treatment plan to manage symptoms associated with ME/CFS

Hutan, Simon M, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Just skimmed this, but looks good.

3. Kalliope

@Tom Kindlon skimmed more thoroughly and shared the following comments on Twitter:

- New CPD course on #MyalgicEncephalomyelitis /#ChronicFatigueSyndrome for healthcare professionals I quickly skimmed the slides & noticed under fatigue "goal-directed & non-fatiguing exercise" which I wouldn't have included. Otherwise, could be good https://medscape.org/viewarticle/964157… #MECFS

- 2/ Unfortunately, under "proposed mechanisms in POTS and OI may overlap those in ME/CFS" it has "Deconditioning: Patients have reduced oxygen uptake Vo2 max; graded exercise therapy improves tachycardia with or without symptoms" :-( (little or no evidence in #MEcfs specifically)

He received the following reply from @ahimsa

- What a shame! The study cited (Deconditioning in patients with orthostatic intolerance, Parsaik) is from 2012 and does not seem to mention ME/CFS. There's more recent research showing the opposite in #MEcfs such as this paper:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33947430/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021