Mesenchymal stem cells and exosome therapy for COVID-19: current status and future perspective 2020 Gupta et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Vaishnavi, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Vaishnavi

Vaishnavi New Member

This review highlights the well-known immunomodulatory effect of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) as an alternative therapy for inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Recent studies have shown that MSC-derived extracellular vesicles (EVs), including exosomes, exhibit similar therapeutic effects. The review explores the potential of MSCs and exosomes in mitigating the COVID-19-induced cytokine storm, promoting alveolar tissue regeneration, and reducing inflammatory reactions. Preliminary studies have demonstrated the safety and efficacy of MSCs and exosomes in alleviating COVID-19 symptoms. These findings suggest their potential use on a compassionate basis for repairing and reducing the inflammatory responses associated with COVID-19.

Here is the review: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13577-020-00407-w

What are your thoughts on the potential use of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) and exosomes for treating COVID-19? Do you believe they could be effective in mitigating the cytokine storm and promoting tissue regeneration?

Hutan, RedFox, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yann04 and Trish like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not aware of mesenchymal stem cells being of any value in inflammatory or autoimmune disease. Is there any evidence?

Autologous stem cells have been used as rescue following immunoablation for autoimmune disease but that doesn't mean the stem cells are treating the disease - just stopping the person from dying from iatrogenic immunodeficiency.

And I cannot see what extracellular vesicles have to do with stem cells either.

Ash, FMMM1 and Yann04 like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looking at the author list this looks pretty much like a scam advert.

Ash, FMMM1 and shak8 like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't follow this topic (COVID) but I hadn't heard of "cytokine storm" - it's an actual thing - if so then I guess that would differentiates COVID & ME/CFS?