Meta-analysis of Natural Killer (NK) cell cytotoxicity in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), 2024, Baraniuk et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Nightsong, Sep 15, 2024.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reduced Natural Killer (NK) cell cytotoxicity is the most consistent immune finding in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Meta-analysis of the published literature determined the effect size of the decrement in ME/CFS. Databases were screened for papers comparing NK cell cytotoxicity in ME/CFS and healthy controls. Twenty-eight papers and 55 effector : target cell ratio (E:T) data points were collected. Cytotoxicity in ME/CFS was significantly reduced to about half of healthy control levels, with an overall Hedges' g of 0.96 [0.75 to 1.18]. Heterogeneity was high but was explained by the range of E:T ratios, different methods and potential outliers. The outcomes confirm reproducible NK cell dysfunction in ME/CFS and will guide studies using the NK cell model system for pathomechanistic investigations.

Front Immunol (September 2024) | Link

Hutan, Lilas, Turtle and 4 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Curious to see Baraniuk publishing with Marshall-Gradisnik.

Kitty and Murph like this.
  3. Murph

Murph Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pleased to hear this stands up because it's one of those things where I wasn't sure if it was folklore. I've heard it repeated a lot but also seen it questioned in these pages.
    A solid finding is a relief.

bobbler and Kitty like this.
  4. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to clarify, is this a replication of the Australian studies from Griffith Uni we were discussing/criticising a few weeks back for having no replication attempts? Becuase if so thats big.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024
    Sean, bobbler and Kitty like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt it is a solid finding as there has been several studies that could not find a difference with controls. It's mostly this Australian group (and earlier the one by Nancy Klimas in Florida) that has been pushing this narrative.

Eaton-Fitch and Marshall-Gradisnik already did a review on this in 2019, discussed here:
    A systematic review of natural killer cells profile and cytotoxic function in ME/CFS. Eaton-Fitch et al. 2019 | Science for ME (s4me.info)

The MCAM study of 174 patients found no significant difference:
    Natural killer cytotoxicity in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS): a multi-site clinical assessment of ME/CFS (MCAM) sub-study | Journal of Translational Medicine | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)

bobbler, alktipping, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think perhaps this should be:Heterogeneity was high but might be explained by the range of E:T ratios, different methods and potential outliers. The whole problem with NK assays is that nobody actually knows what results with any of the methods means much, other than complete failure of function in rare deficiency syndromes.

Otherwise the abstract doesn't tell us anything new.

I may be hallucinating but my memory is that at an IiME meeting James Baraniuk made a comment about Nancy Klimas's NK work that 'she can't even reproduce her own data'.

I think if we want confirmation of the solidity of the NK claim it needs to come from somewhere other than the Klimas/Gradisnik stable.

bobbler, alktipping, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  7. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I once consulted with a MD at a local university teaching hospital here in the USA who spent his whole career (he was close to retirement) working in the innate immune system realm because I had a couple anomalous immune system blood test results that were consistently appearing, of which one of them was a Natural Killer (NK) cell cytotoxicity assay. His take was just like Jonathan's. He said in his experience he didn’t trust any of the commercial lab results and only one university lab did he think that it was useful to use their results. He also said that he never relied on one result for NK cells and got multiple results from that Lab before he started making evaluations.

MeSci, shak8, bobbler and 4 others like this.