1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan State Medical Society CMEs

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Medfeb, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Two more CMEs for physicians were released today by the Michigan State Medical Society (MSMS). MSMS is nationally accredited for health care providers across the United States. Both of these CMEs were presented by Cindy Bateman.

1. "Update on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Part 1: Clinical Diagnostic Criteria for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/CFS now called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or ME/CFS" https://www.msms.org/Education/On-Demand-Webinars/Webinar/1059

2. "Update on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Part 2: Uniting Compassion, Attention and Innovation to treat ME/CFS," located on MSMS's website.
    https://www.msms.org/Education/On-Demand-Webinars/Webinar/1060

I have not looked at these yet and don't know if the slides are available.

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unprecedented continuing medical education on ME/CFS brings relief to doctors and patients alike - Press Release

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4177524

Lisa108, MEMarge, WillowJ and 5 others like this.
  3. theJOYdecision

theJOYdecision Senior Member (Voting Rights)

M.E. Awareness NZ is investigating whether New Zealand GPs can do these CME. If anyone has any thoughts about them, recommendations, or even contacts to assist us in exploring this possibility we would appreciate hearing.

Lisa108, Ravn, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  4. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@theJOYdecision - I know the person in the advocacy group in Michigan that helped to get these going. If that would be useful to you, PM me

Ravn, Hutan, RoseE and 2 others like this.
  5. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Admins @Trish @Andy @Hutan
    Are you aware of anyone that has reviewed this CME that I could talk to about ? Or encourage to put their feedback here? Are there things missing or not misleading that would require notes to be provided alongside the courses?

M.E. Awareness NZ is actively looking for existing online CME material that could be accepted by our Royal NZ College of GPs.
    As well as for our DHB project @Hutan?

MEMarge, Ravn, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I've done the Part 1 webinar. It's easy to register from overseas and it's free. The webinar is 52 minutes long and consists of Dr Lucinda Bateman talking us through the diagnostic criteria.

I am very happy to report that I found it to be really good!

On the whole, it doesn't claim to know more than we really know. The debilitating nature as well as the big range of severities is clear. Doctors who complete this webinar will be fairly well informed about ME/CFS diagnosis.

I think it's suitable to be part of a continuing professional development package for doctors. I have more notes, so I might make more detailed comments later.

I'll have a look at Part 2 tomorrow. Thanks to Joy and Rose for reminding us to take a look at this. I'll be interested to hear what others think.

ahimsa, rvallee, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've not looked at this, so can't comment, but the topic of GP training came up in my Q&A with Heidi Nicholl from Emerge Australia. They have just soft launched a GP education programme which I believe is online education, so it could be worth getting in contact with Emerge for more details.

MEMarge, RoseE, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  8. Hutan

So, I've done Part 2 as lying in bed watching a webinar seemed like a better option than finishing the lawn.

Again, I think Dr Bateman did a really good job on a difficult subject. This webinar focuses on treatment - and pacing is first up and emphasised as the most important strategy. Some speculative treatments and theories are mentioned but, generally, Dr Bateman is good at making it clear when she doesn't have strong evidence.

There's a lot that could be said, and so I'm sure there will be things that people will feel should have got a mention. In particular for me, I think severe ME/CFS was overlooked. I think it might be easy to come away from seeing the webinar and not really get how debilitated a person with severe ME/CFS might be and how much medical intervention they might need for things like feeding.

Exercise is mentioned a bit and, even though Dr Bateman stresses how important it is to avoid PEM, I think the message can be lost when you then talk about e.g. exercising in water. There's also mention of acupuncture and massage for pain; for me, massage causes PEM. I think that gastrointestinal issues should have been covered, as these symptoms can be awful and are a fairly common part of the illness at times.

The webinar is targeted at US doctors. Bits of this one, more than the diagnosis webinar, won't be completely relevant to doctors in other countries.

I think it's a pretty brave attempt to provide very specific advice to doctors managing people with ME/CFS from a clinician who has seen a lot of people with ME/CFS. I think it will be useful.

Worth a watch by the people working on the NICE guidelines @Keela Too, @adambeyoncelowe, @Jonathan Edwards

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    ahimsa, rvallee, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Oh, I forgot to add, for a webinar titled 'Uniting Compassion, Attention and Innovation to treat ME/CFS', I felt there should have been more said about providing broad support for the patient. Things like allowing for phone consultations; informing family; advocating for the person by writing letters to their school or employer; assisting patients to access benefits or home help or motorised mobility aids.

Perhaps it goes without saying that you do these things for chronically ill patients. But so often, these things aren't done.

As I said, I know there is a lot to cover. But if I was going to suggest one improvement to Part 2, it would be to cut out one of the slides on orthostatic intolerance and instead remind doctors that they may be able to reduce the stress of financial worries or dependence on family.

ahimsa, rvallee, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  10. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've 'bought' these, so will check them out.

11. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely worth checking out. It would probably be easier to convince our GPs to accept Australian material than American since there are existing connections already, like the The Royal Australasian College of Physicians.

MEMarge, RoseE, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  12. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)