1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitochondria are the “canary in the coal mine” for cellular stress - Salk Researchers Dec 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full article here
    https://www.salk.edu/news-release/mitochondria-are-the-canary-in-the-coal-mine-for-cellular-stress/

merylg, oldtimer, Amw66 and 12 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's interesting.

I forget, what has been found regarding levels of mitochondrial DNA free in the cytoplasm in people with ME?

merylg, Andy, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Title of paper: Mitochondrial DNA stress signalling protects the nuclear genome
    Paywall, https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-019-0150-8
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1038/s42255-019-0150-8

merylg, Hutan and rvallee like this.
  4. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

me/cfs is a mito disorder ... in many but not all me/cfs patients and in in even more people with me/cfs with slow onset and EDS like features, pots and mcad ...

just wanted to put it out there and hope I will be still alive when it is proven ...

(existing mtdna studies for me/cfs are somewhat worthless for many reasons)

5. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An interesting post Butter. Do we use mitochondria to think? I don't know.

You see, PEM is a result not only from physical-muscular movement ( exertion), but it can be generated from simply lying down and thinking out complex issues for say half an hour: for instance, legal arguments, or building a legal case, or doing any complex mental activity: mental exertion.

(On another topic which I don't know where to post: I have also lately been badly discouraged that Dr. Jonathan Edwards (@Jonathan Edwards) feels there is no lead in this monstrous disease. ) And I am certain Dr Edwards follows all the findings!

What are the severely ill expected to do? No one looks after them, no one helps them. This is all very 19th century.

6. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ehhhhhhm, yes, you „use mitochondria to think“.

7. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should have looked it up before commenting, but my hands are very tied. I look after two gravely ill people. Had I searched I might not have earned: "ehhhhhhhm...."

So from what I have read this morning, they are even used to feel.

I dare say, there will be more to discover about our bodies. But for the very ill, all this is fine and dandy, but when will the chains come off.

Snowdrop and Trish like this.