Mitochondrial DNA Missense Mutations ... Identified in a Caucasian Female with (ME/CFS) Triggered by the [EBV],2024,Tang-Siegel

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, May 11, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crig/2024/6475425/

Full title: Mitochondrial DNA Missense Mutations ChrMT: 8981A > G and ChrMT: 6268C > T Identified in a Caucasian Female with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Triggered by the Epstein–Barr Virus

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a multisystem disabling disease with unclear etiology and pathophysiology, whose typical symptoms include prolonged debilitating recovery from fatigue or postexertional malaise (PEM).

Disrupted production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the intracellular energy that fuels cellular activity, is a cause for fatigue.

Here, we present a long-term case of ME/CFS: a 75-year-old Caucasian female patient, whose symptoms of ME/CFS were clearly triggered by an acute infection of the Epstein–Barr virus 24 years ago (mononucleosis).

Before then, the patient was a healthy professional woman.

A recent DNA sequence analysis identified missense variants of mitochondrial respiratory chain enzymes, including ATP6 (ChrMT: 8981A > G; Q152R) and Cox1 (ChrMT: 6268C > T; A122V).

Protein subunits ATP6 and Cox1 are encoded by mitochondrial DNA outside of the nucleus: the Cox1 gene encodes subunit 1 of complex IV (CIV: cytochrome c oxidase) and the ATP6 gene encodes subunit A of complex V (CV: ATP synthase).

CIV and CV are the last two of five essential enzymes that perform the mitochondrial electron transport respiratory chain reaction to generate ATP.

Further analysis of the blood sample using transmission electron microscopy demonstrated abnormal, circulating, extracellular mitochondria.

These results indicate that the patient had dysfunctional mitochondria, which may contribute directly to her major symptoms, including PEM and neurological and cognitive changes.

Furthermore, the identified variants of ATP6 (ChrMT: 8981A > G; Q152R) and Cox1 (ChrMT: 6268C > T; A122V), functioning at a later stage of mitochondrial ATP production, may play a role in the abnormality of the patient’s mitochondria and the development of her ME/CFS symptoms.

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of assumptions there, such as ME's fatigue-like state being regular physical fatigue, and that the patient's mitochondrial abnormalities are due to ME or part of ME's mechanism. I expect there are plenty of people who would report "fatigue" on a questionnaire who don't have these genetic defects.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's a clear read, so far.

It's certainly not the first time that it has been proposed that problems with complex IV and complex V of the electron transport chain.

The onset following a triggering EBV infection seems quite clear. That association of elevated EBV antibodies with ME/CFS crashes seems to be supposition though.

I'm not sure that the evidence that there is more EBV DNA replication in ME/CFS has been particularly convincing.

Ref 3 is E. Shikova, V. Reshkova, А. Kumanova et al., “Cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus, and human herpesvirus-6 infections in patients with myalgic еncephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 3682–3688, 2020. Publisher Site
    Here's the link to the forum thread for that paper:
    Cytomegalovirus, Epstein‐Barr Virus and Human Herpesvirus 6 Infections in Patients with [ME/CFS], 2020, Shikova et al
    @Ravn made the point that, while there may be evidence of more EBV reactivation in ME/CFS than in healthy controls, it is not clear if that is causal or simply a result of a reduced inability to suppress viral reactivations.

Mij, Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

5. Hutan

That's a confusing long sentence, but there is a good point in there - that DNA sequencing of family members of the patient would be interesting.

I have the feeling that mitochondrial DNA has been looked at, and nothing of significance has been found. But, perhaps it is worth looking again.

Given this is an n=1 case study, it's hard to know whether this phenomenon of protrusions from extracellular mitochondria also occurs in healthy controls. Extra-cellular mitochondria are interesting. This paper has more information:
    Forms of extracellular mitochondria and their impact in health
    That paper mentions the link between mitochondria and extracellular vesicles which came up on another thread recently e.g.

Murph, Yann04, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same thing struck me about the EBV reactivation. If people have reactivation but there are no symptoms clear enough to alert them, it's very hard to know whether pwME have greater, lower, or roughly the same levels of viral activity.

Sean, Ash, Yann04 and 3 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mean, who's going to their doctors office every time they feel 'viral'? In this case I'd be there every few months and my doctor would say 'no' that they don't test.

Sean, NelliePledge, Ash and 2 others like this.