Multidimensional Comparison of Cancer-Related Fatigue and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Role of Psychophysiological Markers (2019) Park et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jan 5, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A study from South Korea (Epub ahead of print):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30605994

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think this looks like an interesting study.

I note particularly that they found no difference between the cancer-related fatigue (CRF) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) on the psychological tests including fatigue.

But they found a different pattern of objective factors, suggesting it's a different mechanism in the two conditions.

(this makes me think of the recent much publicised post interferon treatment fatigue being used as a proxy for CFS by Pariante et al. If post cancer treatment fatigue is shown, as this study suggests, to have a completely different biological basis to CFS, then maybe that suggests the post interferon study may be equally irrelevant to the biology of CFS???)

And does anyone know more about the frontal EEG parameters they say may be a biomarker for CFS?

Inara, Liessa, Barry and 15 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think this is one of the questions that needs to be addressed and perhaps even within a broad group of CFS. That is what is the nature of the 'fatigue' and is it likely to be caused by the same mechanisms or are there hints that it is different. The issue with a lot of the questionnaires is that they aren't detailed enough to pick up the differences.

Liessa, MEMarge, Gecko and 10 others like this.
  4. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a friend who had cancer treatment and was offered a course on cancer fatigue. I'm sure you can guess what's coming..... loads of therapists, glossy brochures telling her to eat properly, increase exercise and practice good sleep hygiene.
    My Mum has an autoimmune disease and has chronic fatigue with it. She's always told its the steroids or the illness but she's had to limit her activities significantly. I wish doctors would stop hiding behind CBT for fatigue and admit that they haven't got a clue. If all funding for CBT research was removed, maybe they would finally work with scientists to figure it out.