Navigating the medical system as a beginner with ME

Discussion in 'General clinical care' started by forestglip, Jun 4, 2024.

1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, he does seem fairly knowledgeable. Unfortunately, I'm in central Ohio, and there's the waitlist, and my insurance probably wouldn't cover it. But maybe I'll see if his office has any recommendations.

2. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my non-statistically rigorous sample of doctors, I've had awful young women, validating older men, and many other combinations in between so for me, the criteria of being young and female is not necessarily a ticket to understanding.

I would second the advice to look on local FB groups - I have had some luck going that route. You might also reach out to The Massachusetts ME/CFS Association. They provide doctor recommendations, although most of their referrals are in Massachusetts and New England. It's possible they have a lead on someone closer to you. There is also an MEAction doctor database, but I'm not sure how thorough it is.

I have wanted different things from doctors over the years for ME (thorough testing, a diagnosis, documentation, validation, humility (able to say "I don't know", willingness to try and treat symptoms, etc.) In my experience, I've needed different doctors to address these different needs as I haven't found one that can cover all of them. It's been trial and error finding out who they are though, unfortunately.

3. adrienne

adrienne Established Member

Two groups to try on FB - Dysautonomia International - Ohio Support Group & ME-ICC & other marginalized diseases (public).

Kitty, Yann04, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. forestglip

Thank you! I tried searching for groups that included "Ohio" but there were way too many to search through that were not relevant.

Kitty, Yann04, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  5. adrienne

adrienne Established Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    Kitty, Yann04, Trish and 3 others like this.
  6. forestglip

I sent them an email and got this response:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think it means from birth I’m not aware of people having it from birth but I was one of the older onset around menopause group and not up to speed with paediatric aspects.

Yann04, Peter Trewhitt and forestglip like this.