1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Neurological Disturbances of Ciguatera Poisoning: Clinical Features and Pathophysiological Basis, 2020, L'Herondelle et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hutan, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Killian L’Herondelle,1 Matthieu Talagas,1,2 Olivier Mignen,3Laurent Misery,1,2 and Raphaele Le Garrec1,*
    (French researchers)

Abstract
    Ciguatera fish poisoning (CFP), the most prevalent seafood poisoning worldwide, is caused by the consumption of tropical and subtropical fish contaminated with potent neurotoxins called ciguatoxins (CTXs). Ciguatera is a complex clinical syndrome in which peripheral neurological signs predominate in the acute phase of the intoxication but also persist or reoccur long afterward.

Their recognition is of particular importance in establishing the diagnosis, which is clinically-based and can be a challenge for physicians unfamiliar with CFP. To date, no specific treatment exists. Physiopathologically, the primary targets of CTXs are well identified, as are the secondary events that may contribute to CFP symptomatology.

This review describes the clinical features, focusing on the sensory disturbances, and then reports on the neuronal targets and effects of CTXs, as well as the neurophysiological and histological studies that have contributed to existing knowledge of CFP neuropathophysiology at the molecular, neurocellular and nerve levels.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7602189/
    free access

2. Hutan

alktipping and Andy like this.
  3. Hutan

The paper mentions voltage-gated sodium channels (Nav) as the primary target of the toxins. Downstream effects include an increase in intracellular calcium concentration by various mean, including calcium influx through transient receptor potential (TRP) channels.

A blood transcriptomic study suggested activation of inflammatory pathways and genetic variants of the adaptive immune system are involved in the persistence of CFP disturbances.

I thought this was interesting - the idea that the toxins bind to the sodium channels and are difficult to dislodge. And more toxin might be released over time from other binding sites (tissue or plasma proteins or lipoproteins):

It's known that ciguatera poisoning can develop gradually over time - with small exposures building up the toxin levels.

Further to triggers of symptoms
    Even if none of the findings about ciguatera poisoning are helpful for us, it's good to be aware of it as a differential diagnosis. It sounds as though it is often mis-diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome.

4. Hutan

One of the studies referenced by this paper is
    https://pmj.bmj.com/content/75/889/678

Ciguatera fish poisoning, 1999

That ciguatera toxin acts as a cholinesterase inhibitor has been disputed - saying that while it acts so in vitro, it does not act so in vivo.

However, a document on suggested treatments
    https://www.ciguatera.pf/index.php/en/la-ciguatera/les-traitements
    says
    pralidoxime (Contrathion®…; 200 to 1000 mg, slow infusion) for its cholinesterase reactivator property.

cholestyramine (Questran®…), an anticholesteremic, which seems to be a ciguatoxins-antagonist, demonstrated some efficiency on neurological symptoms improvement in numerous patients.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Snow Leopard likes this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A researcher into ciguatera poisoning at the University of Hawaii became interested in ME. Most of the work was done before I had internet access so I can't remember much about it and he died so his research was never followed up.

He found something he called ciguatera (?) factor in people with ME which he thought caused a channelopathy. I read that part there was confusion because the NIH was doing similar work but they called the factor something like else.

I've always felt that channelopathy would be worth examining in ME.

Hutan likes this.
  6. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this similar to the covid finding of snake venom mimick
    Low complement c3 will mimic this I think

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Hutan likes this.