New developments in understanding chronic illness, Nov. 8-10 Washington DC Davis/Hanson

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jaybee00, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Sounds as though the event organisers have ME/CFS and fibromyalgia, and quite a bit else, all sorted - mechanisms, treatment...

Ash, RedFox, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are they from the future?

Ash, obeat, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a link to the schedule:

https://medstar.cloud-cme.com/course/courseoverview?P=0&EID=20362

I noticed that Avindra Nath is also on the schedule - "NIH Data / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Data"

EDIT: Looks like this is one of those websites where you can't link directly to a certain section, you have to click on the tab for schedule after clicking the link I posted.

Ash, MEMarge, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hutan

It is a weird event - there's those three speakers who might have something useful and new to say.

But it feels a bit as though some organisations are aiming to gain credibility by being near them. The event sponsor is the Foundation for Total Recovery
    https://foundationfortotalrecovery.org/
    At first glance, it looks okay, focussed on finding answers for conditions with Neuroinflammation. But, if you listen to the video, there's a focus on chronic pain, along with depression, anxiety and PTSD. Apparently it's all due to brains on fire, caused by brain injuries, emotional trauma and stress.
    It's a full on fundraising site.

The person behind the site is Gary Kaplan, who sounds familiar. Here's his blurb - he's big on acupuncture, integrative medicine, chelation and osteopathy.
    The co-sponsor of the event is the Academy of Nutritional Medicine.

I would have thought Nath, Davies and Hanson would have plenty of quality platforms available to them to make speeches from, so I find it odd that they are involved with this conference.

Helene, Grigor, EndME and 8 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That concerns me too. By sitting on the same platform as quacks and when that platform belongs to the quacks, they give credibility to the quackery too.

Helene, Grigor, EndME and 8 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://chronicillnessconference.com/about/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2023
    Ash, Wonko, ahimsa and 4 others like this.
  8. Trish

There are some familiar speakers like Ron Davis and Maureen Hanson, and most have US university affiliations.

I'm puzzled about the organisers. They are called the 'Foundation for Total Recovery', and all I've found about them so far is this conference.

Ash, Milo, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  9. Trish

Type Of Ticket: Virtual Conference Ticket
    For Patients & General Public:
    $175 prior to the conference
    $245 day of the event

For Healthcare Providers:
    $495 prior to the conference
    $595 day of the event
    20.5 Continuing Education Credits

Ash, Wonko, ahimsa and 1 other person like this.
  10. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Milo, Ash, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  11. ahimsa

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    FMMM1, Ash, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  12. Trish

Can I unembarass you by telling you I didn't either.

FMMM1, Ash, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  13. ahimsa

:D Great minds think alike!

MEMarge, shak8, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  14. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hilary Johnson is tweeting notes from some of the sessions (Nath and Hanson):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1722301226136543398

Nath:
    (Conclusion) we think all our findings suggest persistent antigen leads to immune dysfunction and microbial dysbiosi in GI tract. Neuroimmune axis gets dysregulation, contributing to metabolic abnormalities. Leads to abnormalties in function (in brain) Autonomic dysfunction
    Autonomic dysfunction leads to (shortness of breath).
    (Our) hypothesis of persistent antigen as (cause of ME) is based on immune markers. That made us wonder if persistent antigen--whether host or foreign--that's what made us make that hypothesis.
    The journal has accepted our data, but is waiting on a number of things that must be uploaded to journal. My guess is it will be soon. Nature Communications is the name of the journal.

Hansen:
    Which viruses have been implicated in pre-2020 ME. Herpes viruses, Ross River, influenza, enteroviruses...if we are to judge these viruses, EVs are convicted by preponderance of evidence. EBV may be accomplices, but influenza and Ross River virus don't pay a large role.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    FMMM1, duncan, EndME and 5 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Ash likes this.
  16. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These are quite the statements by Nath, if true, especially if a pathogen is the antigen in question, I wonder how the patient commentators on this forum will react after bashing such ideas (and researchers pursuing them) for many years. Interesting to note that this comment by Nath is not already discussed more.

17. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've bashed no one, but if Nath has found something tangible I'd imagine there to be universal delight without the need for point-scoring. Except maybe against ze BPS-crew. There'd be so much dunking on them, hahayes.

EzzieD, Ash, butter. and 2 others like this.
  18. Trish

I think I'll wait until they publish. Tweets by someone watching a talk that the speaker has presumably designed not to reveal the key findings of unpublished research, and another talk about an unproven hypothesis, no longer excite me.

FMMM1, EzzieD, SNT Gatchaman and 7 others like this.
  19. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not so much about point scoring but gatekeeping and bias in the name of 'the real science'.

Solstice likes this.
  20. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What an odd statement. If you embrace a persistent pathogen theory, how do you decide which pathogens can be at play, which cannot? That to me would seem one part huge undertaking, and one part dangerous politics.

Milo, Jaybee00 and Ash like this.