1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tests for borrelia (Lyme)

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Joan Crawford, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New Phage based test for borrelia

A new Phage based test has been developed to detect borrelia bacteria in collaboration between Leicester University (Dr Martha Clokie https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/genetics/people/martha-clokie) and Phelix (Dr Louis Teulières)

Paper here:

Info about phage's and use in testing:

It is already available at Red Labs in Belgium
    http://blog.redlaboratories.be/2021/05/borrelia-phelix-phage-test-updated.html

I'm aware of previous rapid culture and then PCR testing (USA based) that failed to be replicated independently. This is clearly early days for this test. And new technology - which will need to be understood. Needs replicating by independent research team and so forth. And needs to demonstrate credibility in the science being used and the testing methods. Will be interesting to see what the reaction is from the infectious diseases community which has tended to be rather conservative regarding borrelia infection.

It would be grand to have direct evidence of infection with borrelia rather than the poor reliability of indirect testing methods available now - and much argued over. For those patients whose symptoms persist and who develop ME, FMS and the like, if this is an accurate test, it could make a big difference.

Any thoughts? @Jonathan Edwards

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2023
    Missense, Hutan, Helene and 8 others like this.
  2. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First reaction, it is bad news that Red Labs jumped the gun and is selling the test. It is a replication of the mistake that was done in 2009 with XMRV. Ask me how I know?

Missense, Hutan, Helene and 8 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But this would be indirect - detecting supposedly specific phage DNA patterns. And all you need is some leeway in the primers and overcooking and you have false positives, if my experience is anything to go by.

I agree with Milo that a link up with Red Labs is not encouraging.

Missense, Hutan, Helene and 7 others like this.
  4. Joan Crawford

Thanks for that. It'll be interesting to see if an independent group can replicate - as a starter.

Hutan, Helene, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Doesn't surprise me in the least that KDM would add it to the list of expensive tests he can charge his patients for.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/red-lab-belgium-experiences.14061/#post-252193

Hutan and Milo like this.
  6. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the look of Dr Martha Clokie, she comes across as genuine and has a strong background in phage research.

See video: here, the whole thing is interesting but moves on to talking about complex diseases at 1:00:47, and then borrelia.

Hutan and Joan Crawford like this.
  7. Joan Crawford

Many thanks for posting this. I'd not seen it.

hinterland likes this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2020/06/02/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-lyme-phelix-bacteriophage/
    Dominic Stanculescu posted a blog about this test on Health Rising in June 2020. There are a lot of comments.

And a 2021 Medscape article here:
    Phage-Targeting PCR Test Picks Up Early Lyme Disease

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member