1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Scientist: Probiotics are mostly useless and can actually hurt you

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Kalliope, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anecdotal info based on my own experience : I reduced my own anxiety by optimising my iron and other minerals and vitamins. If you have an iron or other nutrient test instigated by a doctor they will often tell you that results are fine if the results are just inside the reference range. But that isn't optimal for many people (if any). Another possibility is that you have a thyroid problem. Having too low or too high a level of T3 causes anxiety for a lot of people. One place to go for advice on thyroid issues and optimising nutrients is the Thyroid UK forum that you can find here : https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk

TheGuRU777, Amw66, Mij and 2 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was crawling around out of breath for several years when my ferritin was at 5. My GP at the time advised that I bring it up to 15 with iron pills. No, I need to increase to a minimum level of 40 to feel almost 'normal' again. Same song with B12 and magnesium.

I need to optimize my dose and then some to feel better.

andypants, TheGuRU777 and Arnie Pye like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

at least in US we never had to cope with things like marmite and Vegemite. Yuck! (sorry to fans!)

4. TheGuRU777

TheGuRU777 Established Member

Hmm, come to think of it had have had low iron show up in bloodwork. Just under low end. I think i give that a try thnks!

Arnie Pye likes this.
  5. shonutrition

shonutrition New Member

What about Vegan Probiotics?

6. TheGuRU777

TheGuRU777 Established Member

Hmmm...I dunno. Didn't know they had Vegan probitics. i check it out thanks.